Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The LODO Effect: Evaluating the Low Oxygen Brewing Method | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 43638 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
The low oxygen brewing method, aka LODO, is purported by some to be the only way to produce unique German lager character on the homebrew scale. We were curious and decided to put it to the test. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2017/04/10/the-lodo-effect-evaluating-the-low-oxygen-brewing-method-exbeeriment-results/

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Interesting quote from Charles over at UC Davis.
 “Sulfites in the mash are to be avoided, yeast will reduce it to sulfide and you will end up with an egg-y aroma in your beer.”
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:15:51 am by bayareabrewer »

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
I've been waiting to see this for some time now.  I guess the thing that I find most interesting is the differences between the gravities (OG/FG) for things that were done largely the same with the exception of the SMB additions and the 'compensating minerals' (for lack of a better term) in the non-low O2 batch that were used to adjust them to be the same.

I guess with the OG/FG differences, I wouldn't be surprised at all if people picked it out and perferred the higher gravity one.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
The gravity difference between the trials is remarkable. I'm trying to understand how the process or SMB could affect that to that degree. There is no doubt that the gravity difference would markedly alter the beer flavor and perception.

I appreciate the author mentioning the honey notes in the regular beer version. Unfortunately that note is a sign of oxidation. I'm curious if the beers can be retasted in a few months to assess if the longevity of the beers is affected.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
The gravity difference between the trials is remarkable. I'm trying to understand how the process or SMB could affect that to that degree. There is no doubt that the gravity difference would markedly alter the beer flavor and perception.

I appreciate the author mentioning the honey notes in the regular beer version. Unfortunately that note is a sign of oxidation. I'm curious if the beers can be retasted in a few months to assess if the longevity of the beers is affected.
My LODO beers have not had a drop in OG, that I remember.

Honey aroma and taste in a Helles or Pils is a definite sign of oxidation. I no longer buy imports much, as most often they have that. You don't get the honey at the breweries and Biergarten in Germany.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing

I wonder whether he needs to adjust the mill gap to account for the conditioned grain.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN

Honey aroma and taste in a Helles or Pils is a definite sign of oxidation. I no longer buy imports much, as most often they have that. You don't get the honey at the breweries and Biergarten in Germany.

No OG drops here either. I agree that the honey points to oxidation.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

Interesting.  Did you see that Jake mentioned he had done several LODO beers and all had lower OGs? Wonder what could account for that?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN

Interesting.  Did you see that Jake mentioned he had done several LODO beers and all had lower OGs? Wonder what could account for that?

Most low O2 brewers are doing no sparge, Denny. I assume that has to account for part of it with some brewers.
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
I'm curious how much agitation he did to the two batches.  When I started doing Low O2 batches I didn't touch the mash at all, I just ran the water in and let it sit there for fear of stirring in too much O2.  I have since started to stir it some but not too much and noticed a modest efficiency increase. 

I didn't see any indication in the article of how much mixing he did, so I'm curious if the low o2 version of it just wasn't mixed in as well and he got poor efficiency from that.  I did see that the normal one followed the water in first, then add grain method which would probably ensure that he had good mixing.   
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster

Most low O2 brewers are doing no sparge, Denny. I assume that has to account for part of it with some brewers.

his side by side batch was no sparge as well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

He didn't sparge either batch, Jon.  No differences there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN

He didn't sparge either batch, Jon.  No differences there.

I can't explain it, Denny. I just know I'm not taking a hit like they are.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster

I wonder whether he needs to adjust the mill gap to account for the conditioned grain.

Touche'.   Also no pH detail other than more salts in the non-LODO beer. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH