Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The LODO Effect: Evaluating the Low Oxygen Brewing Method | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 43616 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
It seems that most trials that refute LODO inevitably degrade into discussions as to how the trial was done incorrectly.
It seems to me that most trials of any sort have room for improvement.

true, but when someones trial leads them to believe in LODO, they are congratulated for finding "it", however when someones trial leads to something like the conclusions drawn by brulosophy, its is picked apart. Basically if you like it, you did it right, if you don't you did it wrong. That's just insane.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
It seems that most trials that refute LODO inevitably degrade into discussions as to how the trial was done incorrectly.

true, but when someones trial leads them to believe in LODO, they are congratulated for finding "it", however when someones trial leads to something like the conclusions drawn by brulosophy, its is picked apart. Basically if you like it, you did it right, if you don't you did it wrong. That's just insane.
Maybe "it" is just sulfur and everyone is right...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
I think there is a long history on this forum of people picking apart experiments where people using low O2 methods and claim to have good results.  So, to say that only those experiments that yield results that discount low O2 brewing are nit picked is somethings of a misrepresentation.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
I think there is a long history on this forum of people picking apart experiments where people using low O2 methods and claim to have good results.  So, to say that only those experiments that yield results that discount low O2 brewing are nit picked is somethings of a misrepresentation.

I was referring to LODO proponents.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

That's not the first time that speculation has been made
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
The gravity difference between the trials is remarkable. I'm trying to understand how the process or SMB could affect that to that degree. There is no doubt that the gravity difference would markedly alter the beer flavor and perception.

I appreciate the author mentioning the honey notes in the regular beer version. Unfortunately that note is a sign of oxidation. I'm curious if the beers can be retasted in a few months to assess if the longevity of the beers is affected.
My LODO beers have not had a drop in OG, that I remember.

Honey aroma and taste in a Helles or Pils is a definite sign of oxidation. I no longer buy imports much, as most often they have that. You don't get the honey at the breweries and Biergarten in Germany.

No OG drops here either. I agree that the honey points to oxidation.

Interesting.  Did you see that Jake mentioned he had done several LODO beers and all had lower OGs? Wonder what could account for that?

Inefficient mixing leading to poor conversion would be my guess.  Most things don't change from standard to low oxygen brewing practices.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer

That's not the first time that speculation has been made
And it is mentioned as one possible conclusion in the xBmt article as well.

I was being slightly facetious, although I do find that getting a faint sulfur character in my lagers makes them taste more authentic to me. I can get this through yeast choice and management, without SMB though. Maybe some brewers are picking up on this character in their LODO brews and consider it a positive result.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
The gravity difference between the trials is remarkable. I'm trying to understand how the process or SMB could affect that to that degree. There is no doubt that the gravity difference would markedly alter the beer flavor and perception.

I wonder whether he needs to adjust the mill gap to account for the conditioned grain.

I'm just one person but I didn't need to adjust my mill gap for milling conditioned grain, and my efficiency remained the same.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
So, to the comments tjhat they should have made a lager to test it, Marshall said this in the comments...."We consulted with a major proponent of LODO while designing this xBmt, he assured us the benefits would be seen in Kölsch or pretty much any other beer style. That said, when we revisit it, it will likely be with a light lager."  Also..."We specifically asked about Kölsch."

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster

Not refuting anything - I'm sharing my experience with OGs.

Let me put out a pre-emptive "Everybody chill." Life and death isn't riding on either side of this.  :)

hahaha agreed.  Sorry, not writing LODO off from this...  Same goes for plenty other exbeeriments I don't agree with.  That said, I do agree with many of them.  Probably 50/50 overall for me. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
But it's supposedly equally viable with any style, right?  And there isn't a vast difference between a kolsch and a helles.

Not necessarily from my perspective.  Some styles seem to have a component in their character that stems from oxidative reactions, but not a kolsch (IMO).  And, IMO, there IS a vast difference between a kolsch/ale and a helles/lager - completely different breed of yeast strain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
I also asked if one mash had been stirred and the other hadn't.  We'll see what Marshall says.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The beer style choice doesn't bug me, but the difference in gravity does. Something is happening that shouldn't be.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
But it's supposedly equally viable with any style, right?  And there isn't a vast difference between a kolsch and a helles.

Not necessarily from my perspective.  Some styles seem to have a component in their character that stems from oxidative reactions, but not a kolsch (IMO).  And, IMO, there IS a vast difference between a kolsch/ale and a helles/lager - completely different breed of yeast strain.

But they specifically asked one of the LODO "biggies" and he said kolsch would be fine.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
My 2 cents:

As always, more experiments are needed.

And, I will let someone else run them.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.