Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The LODO Effect: Evaluating the Low Oxygen Brewing Method | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 43255 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Denny, let me rephrase - nobody 'owes' me or anybody else another study, or anything else. As many others, it's just a data point. But I do feel to have real significance , it would help to have beers that are in the same ballpark OG-wise. Surely you wouldn't argue that, Denny. I'm out of ideas as to why that is and have no more to offer to offer since I wasn't there brewing with them. It doesn't make me royal (?) because I (and many others) didn't have a discrepancy. It just makes me puzzled. ;D

When I said "royal" you, I didn't mean you in particular.  It was a way of referring to everybody.  Hope I didn't insult you.

Yeah, having the beers be the same OG would be important to testing the beers.  But having them not be the same OG kinda tests the process.  And now the question is why has Jake had several beers be lower OG when others haven't?  I don't know and I'm not gonna put any time into finding out.  Other than as a curiosity I don't care.  The process doesn't fit the way I want to brew, so to me it's merely interesting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Interesting, it seems like the brewer has repeatedly seen lower OG with this method?

I've only done a couple of batches (both no sparge) and the gravity was what I expected, almost to the point.  I can recirculate but only do so before draining the tun.

This is the trouble with doing any experiments.  Drew and I run into it all the time, only on a larger scale since we have more brewers participate in the experiments.  You never know if somebody will dickchimp something and not realize it.  Having more brewers can sometimes smooth out the dickchimping, or sometimes exacerbate it.  In the end, you simply have to take the experiments and results for what they are and decide which way you want to go.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
This is a total aside...but I have never encountered the term "dickchimping" before.  Thank you.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
This is a total aside...but I have never encountered the term "dickchimping" before.  Thank you.
Same here, think it made the whole thread worth readind

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

But on that note, I did read the whole thread as well as the original experiment post from brulosophy first thing this morning. I have not done any lodo yet, I've really only brewed twice in the the 10 months, but I have brewtan, and ascorbic as well. So when I can get through the huge lodo thread, I am on board to try it out. I don't recirc, and have no pumps, so I will have to make some adjustments when I get to it. My above comment was in no way meant to disparage LODO, the experimenters, or processes by the way
Edit for typos

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:11:55 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

Comes from the old Brew Rats website.  Refers to a code monkey screwing up.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman

Do NOT google that term  ;)

Offline 69franx

Thanks for the warning

Frank L.

Offline TGerbracht

• 1st Kit
Dickchimp makes the thread. The "wise guy" comes through, haha!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster

Too late, I already did, and it had nothing to do with what Denny used as a definition.
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

Too late, I already did, and it had nothing to do with what Denny used as a definition.

I don't wanna know

www.dennybrew.com

Offline VictorBrew

• Cellarman
Most importantly, many thanks to Jake and the Brülosophy guys for conducting the experiment and posting.  Any and all data points for those interested in exploring this is awesome.  It takes a ton of effort to document all of this and it make it available.

A simply observation of this entire topic is reminiscent of Ford vs. Chevy or Tesla vs. Edison and can't figure out why so many take this as a competition between methods.  We are not defending a hill against the enemy or producing an episode of Myth Busters. 

There is no silver bullet that will provide a definitive answer to those wondering if Low o2 is worth evaluation.  If you find that you are still pondering that question, then the only way you will know is if you get to experimenting with it yourself.  However, this is not analogous to experimenting with different mash temps.  It takes many iterations to work out how to employ the approach with your system, so that alone is enough for many to say 'No thanks', which is perfectly fine.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Most importantly, many thanks to Jake and the Brülosophy guys for conducting the experiment and posting.  Any and all data points for those interested in exploring this is awesome.  It takes a ton of effort to document all of this and it make it available.

A simply observation of this entire topic is reminiscent of Ford vs. Chevy or Tesla vs. Edison and can't figure out why so many take this as a competition between methods.  We are not defending a hill against the enemy or producing an episode of Myth Busters. 

There is no silver bullet that will provide a definitive answer to those wondering if Low o2 is worth evaluation.  If you find that you are still pondering that question, then the only way you will know is if you get to experimenting with it yourself.  However, this is not analogous to experimenting with different mash temps.  It takes many iterations to work out how to employ the approach with your system, so that alone is enough for many to say 'No thanks', which is perfectly fine.

Couldn't agree more!
Jeff B

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
I feel the 20% difference in gravity has more to do with drinker preference than anything. Which is also 20% less flavor extraction. From my experience a single infusion no sparge at below 148 doesn't work well. I attribute it to incomplete geletinization/ conversion. Now if there was an alpha rest, I would bet on different results.

narvin

Hahaha.  Ok, I had a good laugh tonight  :D

It's totally possible that something about the SMB, temperature, lower pH, recirculation, or combination of all of it caused the difference.  It's not so much dickchimping, just another difference in process that makes it so hard to quantitatively compare these things across different systems.