Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st runnings discrepancy, I figured it out.....nerdy (batch sparge)  (Read 2727 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Not that this really matters........

I have consistently been getting more 1st running volume than I should even though I have correct grain absorption and dead space variables.  My 2nd runnings are always right on.  Also, my volume markings on my Ss mash tun are off by about 0.25gal.??

Figured it out.

Turns out that I have been measuring my strike volume at room temperature, then heating it up, transferring it to the MT, and proceeding.  Turns out I hadn't thought about the thermal expansion gain in volume which is probably near 0.25gal which pretty much corrects everything.  So now I will heat first, then adjust strike volume.

Not that it matters because I just adjust sparse volume dependent on 1st runnings, but I am OCD.  Academic I know.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1st runnings discrepancy, I figured it out.....nerdy (batch sparge)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:57:25 am »
Thermal expansion at boiling is about 4%.  Hardly enough to measure.  Are you certain that's it?  Keep in mind that you aren't heating to boiling and the water would cool down.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:13:34 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
If you have tried and corrected your estimation, then congratulations.  Of course it's easier to predict the sparge runoff, since the grains have already fully absorbed all the liquid.  After 12 years of batch sparging (Denny-style), i still struggle to hit combined runoffs volume exactly.  I don't worry about it, and am pretty accurate.  Brew on, brew strong!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:00:01 pm by brewsumore »

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »
I didn't know it was only 4%. The reason I thought about it was on BeerSmith, in my equipment profile there is a cooling volume loss of around .28 gallon for around 6 gallons of wort. I thought the thermal expansion would be similar. Maybe it is my grain absorption or dead space I have to adjust.  Either way using the Denny method I just have to adjust my spark water and it still works out. Just overthinking it probably.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:59:07 pm »
That's about 4%

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:40:47 pm »
That's about 4%

Except that happens at boiling (I believe) and he doesn't get anywhere near that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 01:41:32 pm »
I didn't know it was only 4%. The reason I thought about it was on BeerSmith, in my equipment profile there is a cooling volume loss of around .28 gallon for around 6 gallons of wort. I thought the thermal expansion would be similar. Maybe it is my grain absorption or dead space I have to adjust.  Either way using the Denny method I just have to adjust my spark water and it still works out. Just overthinking it probably.

Don't assume any of the defaults in Beersmith necessarily apply to you.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 01:42:50 pm »
That's about 4%

Except that happens at boiling (I believe) and he doesn't get anywhere near that.
Sure. I get maybe a pint between sparge and boil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 01:44:14 pm »

If your dead space is measured accurately and your runoff volumes are still a little high, reducing your absorption figure is easy enough. A lot of brewers start off using ~ .12 gallons/lb as their absorption figure, and modify as needed until runoff amount is accurate. Probably sounds dumb and obvious, but double check that you're measuring your water volumes accurately. I often round up volumes to even gallons when possible, but when I use partial gallons to mash, I have a plastic pitcher with graduated amounts on it that helps keep me accurate.

Admittedly, I'm OCD (or is it CDO) about my brewing, but not everyone needs to be. A point or two high or low on OG is just not that big a deal. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:10:45 pm »
Here's my thermal expansion calculator, works at any temp using thermal expansion of water (not sugar solutions, since that math is much more complicated).

https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/Thermal.html

What HoosierBrew said, looks like youre volumes still aren't lining up. Either your absorption rate is lower than input, or your initial volumes weren't measured accurately.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »
Cool, thanks all.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »

If your dead space is measured accurately and your runoff volumes are still a little high, reducing your absorption figure is easy enough. A lot of brewers start off using ~ .12 gallons/lb as their absorption figure, and modify as needed until runoff amount is accurate. Probably sounds dumb and obvious, but double check that you're measuring your water volumes accurately. I often round up volumes to even gallons when possible, but when I use partial gallons to mash, I have a plastic pitcher with graduated amounts on it that helps keep me accurate.

Admittedly, I'm OCD (or is it CDO) about my brewing, but not everyone needs to be. A point or two high or low on OG is just not that big a deal. Good luck!

I leave my grain absorption set at .12 in ProMash.  I'm sure that big kernel vs. small kernel malt, addition of adjuncts, etc.  messes with it for different brews.  I am pretty basic in that I use a marked 1/2 gal pitcher to transfer my strike water to my mashtun - typically at least 10 gal of water per brew (I make 10-gal batches).  Like I said, I'm used to minor variance in kettle fill, but it's never a problem.  I use a gradated spoon inserted in the kettle to tell me when the timed boil begins, usually at the first hop addition.