Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cascade and Chinook Terroir  (Read 7182 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Cascade and Chinook Terroir
« on: April 10, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »
From Stan H's blog, an interesting article about how different the character from hops like Cascade and Chinook can be when grown further and further east from the West Coast. I get the terroir thing, but didn't realize it could change so much.

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/a-hop-by-any-other-name-the-un-chinooking-of-chinook/
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cascade and Chinook Terroir
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:24:49 pm »
I's remarkable, isn't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:16 pm »
I's remarkable, isn't it?

Yeah it is. I figured there'd be differences, but not to change that drastically. Pretty cool.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:04:42 pm »
Local pros who are not big on Chinook found that they really like Chinook grown locally in MI.

Now off to read some Stan article.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:10:43 am »
I can believe it. Fuggles are the same way. In England and the US they taste earthy. Grown in eastern Europe as Styrian Goldings and they are a completely different hop.

The variance across the country opens a lot of doors to "new" hops and popular hop flavors in hops that have fallen out of favor. It will be interesting to see how this not only expands demand for locally grown hops but changes the market for patented varieties that are all the rage right now.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:26:57 am »
I just received a small Chinook and Cascade plant from a local hop grower here in Iowa. I excited to have just a couple hop plants to play around with. Hopefully they produce some hop flavors that I don't mind working with.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 10:06:59 am »
I grow cascade here in Massachusetts and mine taste strongly of orange whereas when I buy cascade I get strong grapefruit.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:18:26 am »
I grow cascade here in Massachusetts and mine taste strongly of orange whereas when I buy cascade I get strong grapefruit.

Pretty cool, Pete. I assume orangey in a good way?
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:20 am »

Pretty cool, Pete. I assume orangey in a good way?
Yes, in a good way, not in the pukey orange kind of way.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:50 am »
My Montana grown Cascades are as grapefruity as those grown in the PNW, even though our climates are pretty different.  I think the commonality of low humidity summers might have something to do with it.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 11:42:06 am »
My Montana grown Cascades are as grapefruity as those grown in the PNW, even though our climates are pretty different.  I think the commonality of low humidity summers might have something to do with it.
That's interesting. The summers here in New England are generally quite humid, so maybe that is it. I was thinking it might have to do do with soil composition.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:58 am »
Yeah, pretty interesting. Like most of us know who buy hops in bulk, there can be pretty noticeable differences in hops year to year, vendor to vendor. But I wouldn't have expected that Cascade and Chinook would ever come off as tropical because of where they were grown. Cool stuff.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:35:15 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:53 pm »
My homegrown cascades, and those of a friend, seem to be more lemon/generic citrus than grapefruit. The fresh aroma is definitely lemony. Very humid here, usually mid upper 90's in the summer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 07:30:03 am »
I'll agree with the whole terroir conversation.  A month or so ago while attending the Great Lakes Hop and Barley Conference a brewery located close to the event held a tasting: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/great_lakes_hop_barley_conference_to_feature_single_hop_craft_beer_tastings.  The unfortunate part of the exercise was the fact that the beers weren't really cleanly brewed and the majority of those who tasted them were  having a hard time finding any appreciable differences. 

I know for one, the Chinook I grow here in NEOhio are much more minty than anything coming out of PNW and those I've tried from Michigan did have a cool pineapple character and were much more different than either mine or the PNW sourced ones I've used.  Hopefully the growers in the non-traditional regions can figure it out and have long term success!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 08:17:10 am »
My homegrown Cascades in Wisconsin have less citrus punch, but a huge peppery spiciness.  Very nice IMO but not really a basis for a super IPA except for bittering.  Average alpha acid in my tasting experience is about 6.2% or so, which is about in line with what most would expect -- I had no trouble getting maximum IBUs in my last DIPA using a bittering addition with this estimate.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.