Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cascade and Chinook Terroir  (Read 7180 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Cascade and Chinook Terroir
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:21 am »
Funny, was just dreaming the other day about AUS growers running C hops, specifically Centennial.  I think cents has really faded in recent years. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 08:41:25 am »
Funny, was just dreaming the other day about AUS growers running C hops, specifically Centennial.  I think cents has really faded in recent years.

Hop growers say Centennial is one of the most difficult breeds they grow and if they could get rid of it they would.  But there is still too much demand for that.  Butit may explain why you see it less and less.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:02 am »
Hop growers say Centennial is one of the most difficult breeds they grow and if they could get rid of it they would. 

Interesting. My Centennial bines seem as prolific as my Cascade bines. Both are vigorous for me. I had not heard of problems with Centennial before.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 09:32:25 am »
Hop growers say Centennial is one of the most difficult breeds they grow and if they could get rid of it they would. 

Interesting. My Centennial bines seem as prolific as my Cascade bines. Both are vigorous for me. I had not heard of problems with Centennial before.

I think I've read somewhere that they're terrible climbers, probably a bigger problem for farms than us. And I'm sure yours are doing good because of the water you give them :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 09:36:40 am »

From YCH Hop School. Denny has been many times, I was there once.

It has a lower yield and some years is adversely affected by the growing conditions. Several growers said that they don't like Centennial - as growers. Stan Hieronymus stated that it is a favorite of Brewers due to it being just about the only Hop with Cis-Rose Oxide, a rose smelling floral compound.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:11 am »

But you're not a commercial grower!  If you go to Hop and Brew School and ask one of the growers about Centennial, get ready for a tirade!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:09 am »
If you go to Hop and Brew School and ask one of the growers about Centennial, get ready for a tirade!

Is the tirade included in the Hop and Brew school tuition?  ;)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:49 pm »
If you go to Hop and Brew School and ask one of the growers about Centennial, get ready for a tirade!

Is the tirade included in the Hop and Brew school tuition?  ;)

No extra charge!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 01:01:06 pm »

Stan Hieronymus stated that it is a favorite of Brewers due to it being just about the only Hop with Cis-Rose Oxide, a rose smelling floral compound.

Yep, that's it.  To me, it combines with the citrus and giving an almost liliac/fresh grape note.  Still my favorite.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

And I'm sure yours are doing good because of the water you give them :)

Ha!   8)

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »
This all makes me wonder besides weather and location what type of soil amendments could radically affect the hop smells and flavor profile?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 07:55:00 pm »
From what I'm coming to find is that most of the legacy growers (PNW) know what the hops need during the reproductive growth phase in the way of nutrients to coax the best oil profile to develop, but there are other factors that play a much bigger role in the quality of the final oil composition.  Growing temperatures throughout the season have a huge impact on the quality of the oil package as does harvest timing as the plants push a ton of energy into making the oils/resins within like the last week or so leading up to harvest.  Now, if you have so much acreage of one variety that it takes you an entire week to harvest, the oil composition of the early harvested vs the late harvested can be quite different, so the lots are generally blended to homogenize things a bit.  It's easy to grow hops, but not so easy to grow high quality hops year in and year out. 

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 08:14:55 am »

This is interesting to me, because my cascades are my worst growers followed by CTZ. My centennials grow really well. My best grower is chinook. It's like gang busters! I live in NE Ohio.
Frank

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:00 am »
This all makes me wonder besides weather and location what type of soil amendments could radically affect the hop smells and flavor profile?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm interested in this too. Hopefully someone less lazy than me does the research and posts. :D
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:54 pm »

This is interesting to me, because my cascades are my worst growers followed by CTZ. My centennials grow really well. My best grower is chinook. It's like gang busters! I live in NE Ohio.

I'm in Sandusky OH and centennial were my best out of cascade, ctz, and crystal.  For the amount of effort, I did not care for hop growing.  Aphids, weeds, oh my!
Sam
Sandusky, OH