Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation by dilution  (Read 1074 times)

Offline ElectricGuy

• 1st Kit
Carbonation by dilution
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:58 am »
Hi All!

Pretty new to brewing, a few batches under my belt though!.  A question has been plaguing me that I can't find an exact answer to.  We put yeast in something with sugars and it happily makes alcohol until 1) it runs out of sugar or 2) it reaches a point where it exceeds its alcohol tolerance.  From everything I read it seems one would normally ferment until dry and then add sugar at bottling for carbonation.  Could one also ferment until they hit the alcohol tolerance and they carbonate by diluting the mixture down (thus reducing the ABV), assuming sugar is in excess?  Or does reaching the alcohol tolerance actually permanently kill the yeast off?  Or is there some other limitation I'm not thinking of here?

Thanks!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Carbonation by dilution
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:41 am »
For one thing, most yeasts will go to at least 10-12% so you'd be making a lot of really strong beer.  And there's no consistently accurate way to predict alcohol tolerance.  Not only does it vary from strain to strain, but also depending on yeast health.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell