Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Rusty Nails

• 1st Kit
Hello
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:30:37 pm »
Hello everyone
My name is Ed. I have been home brewing on and off since the 1980's, though I have never considered myself 'great', or even 'knowledgeable'. Many friends and family may disagree, and we have enjoyed my beers for many years.
I grew up in the Catskill region of New York, and ended up in a Southwest Washington in a town so small Main Street is a dead end. (I'll post a picture. It's not a joke.)
My wife was very active in the local community theater. I always helped as a stage carpenter, so they decided my name should be 'Rusty Nails'.
In December of 2016, I lost my wife of 37 years to cancer.
To try to fill the hole, I have decided to return to home brewing. My equipment has been in storage for 2 years as I have been busy with my wife's health. Time to bring it out, go through it, and see if I remember how to brew.
I have been studying for the Cicerone Certification test. I took the practice exam, and was embarrassed. At my age this is not a career goal but a personal challenge.  :o
I have taken a practice exam for BJCP, and passed. I have set a goal to pass both tests this year.
I have been on and off brewing forums over the years, and look forward to being here.

Thank you

Ed (or Rusty, if you prefer)
Southwest Washington

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18:02 am »
Having been married for almost 48 years, I can only imagine what you are experiencing after the death of your wife.
This hobby is certainly something that can fill up a lot of time! I know, if I let it, it kinda takes over my free time.
Welcome! 
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:31 am »
Sorry for your loss. You will find a great amount of knowledge here and a lot of people passionate about making great beer. Welcome!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:37 am »
Welcome back rusty(great nickname btw), and I truly hope you the best in your brewing.  The amount of, lets call it as it is, free knowledge on this forum is astonishing.  You can never go wrong if your making wort of any kind and in any way you choose.  I applaud you, and wish you the best.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:44 am »
Welcome back, Ed. Sorry for your loss. Lots of good advice and camaraderie here.
Jon H.

Offline Rusty Nails

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 02:12:39 pm »
Thank you to all

Ed
Southwest Washington

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 04:16:43 pm »
Just lost my mother-in-law last Wednesday due to cancer.  Ed & Ellen were married more than 62 years!  I find myself reading a lot about beer making to stay busy when I am not helping the family or greiving.  I personally believe malt, hops, yeast and water work well together for a reason.  Seems more and more about creating great relationships than crafting beer.

You have my sincere condolences and I wish you well in your studies,

Jim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:40:51 pm by PharmBrewer »
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal