Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bananas  (Read 3616 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Bananas
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:18 am »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with adding banana flavor to brews? I am looking to make a peanut butter and banana stout. I plan to use P2B for the peanut butter but I am not sure how to get bananas into the beer.

I am worried banana extract with give me that candy/fake banana flavor. I was thinking of putting bananas in the secondary for several days but I am not sure how much banana flavor I would get with that plan.

Thanks for any info!
-Donde

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Bananas
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:03:04 am »
you could try a yeast strain that produces a lot of banana flavor (isomayl acetate). A lot of weizen strains are copious producers.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:17:39 am »
you could try a yeast strain that produces a lot of banana flavor (isomayl acetate). A lot of weizen strains are copious producers.
+1

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:32 am »
Great idea!

So just to make sure I understand. For this beer I would do everything I would normally do for a stout but just swap out the normal stout yeast for one with more banana flavors?
-Donde

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:23:29 am »
Yuup

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
Great idea!

So just to make sure I understand. For this beer I would do everything I would normally do for a stout but just swap out the normal stout yeast for one with more banana flavors?

yup. that'd be a great place to start.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:31:55 am »
Awesome!

One last question, which yeast gives the best banana flavor? (Just banana flavor) I have been reading some stuff about WPL300 and they say it give good banana and clove flavor. I really just want the banana and PB flavors, not sure if clove with throw things off.
-Donde

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:06 am »
I haven't done it, but I think adding about a dozen overripe black bananas (per 5 gallons) late in the fermentation would work wonders for real banana flavor.

I also have a suggestion for peanut butter flavor -- toasted Maris Otter.  Put some Maris Otter in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes.  You'll get a ton of nutty flavor in the final beer.

I do like the hefeweizen yeast idea too.  Ferment warm around 70 F for maximum banana.  With a big pitch and warm temps, you shouldn't get much clove.  WLP300 *should* be fine for this although I'm still experimenting with weizen yeasts myself so I can't say for sure.  Wyeast 3068 is definitely known for being a banana bomb.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:47:41 am »
Awesome!

One last question, which yeast gives the best banana flavor? (Just banana flavor) I have been reading some stuff about WPL300 and they say it give good banana and clove flavor. I really just want the banana and PB flavors, not sure if clove with throw things off.
wyeast 3068 fermented warm will give you lots and lots of banana.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 11:08:39 am »
Gee, I guess no one here has read Homebrew All Stars!  One of the brewers we interviewed is multi award winning Joe Formanek.  He gives recipes for both a banana blond and banana stout.  Made with bananas.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:11:51 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »
Gee, I guess no one here has read Homebrew All Stars!  One of the brewers we interviewed is multi award winning Joe Formanek.  He gives recipes for both a banana blond and banana stout.  Made with bananas.

LOL.  I bought it, but I don't read books much.  It's on my pile.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »

Well, thanks for buying it!  One of these days you ought to look through it!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »

Well, thanks for buying it!  One of these days you ought to look through it!  ;)

I don't currently have the book and didn't know about but if you would like to share the wisdom of that recipe I am all ears....digitally.  ;D
-Donde

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 01:28:37 pm »

I don't currently have the book and didn't know about but if you would like to share the wisdom of that recipe I am all ears....digitally.  ;D

I'd rather you bought the book!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »

My copy got signed by some guy holding a ukulele while Drew and I talked about cider.   8)