Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Citric Acid in Mash  (Read 5370 times)

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
Citric Acid in Mash
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:45:54 am »
I just got my Zymurgy and was excited to see the water articles from Martin! In the article related to NEIPA, Martin mentions using citric acid as an alternative to other acids. I normally use phosphoric, which has it's strength on the label. I have a bag of solid food grade citric acid but I'm not sure how to use it to acidify the mash. My water is from a RO system. Bru'n Water has an option for citric acid, but what do I use for the strength box? 100%? There's nothing else listed on the label, but somehow I doubt that it's that pure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:56:01 am by hike20 »

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
Re: Citric Acid in Mash
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:31 am »
Martin should probably answer this since it is his software, but a quick google turned up pure anhydrous citric acid on amazon, so yes yours is likely pure (not analytical grade, but pure enough).
When you are dealing with solutions made from powders, % refers to g/100mL, so 100% citric acid solution would be 100g in 100mL water (for solutions made from solutions, it is a little different).  I have no idea what its solubility is.  You should be able to enter whatever % you like in Bru'n Water, see how many mL it says to add, then do some math to convert that into mg or grams or anhydrous citric acid, and add that directly to your strike water, rather than making a stock solution.  Or just make a stock solution.
I tend to take the path of least steps (i.e. just add powder to strike water).

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:49 am »
I am at work but I think the full version BNW can do this.  I really think he is correct for NEIPA. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:43 am »
Yep, I have the full version. But it has a field for acid strength so mainly need to know what to put there. I'd also like to know if I can just add it straight to my mash water or not (I assume so too). I was going to send an email to Martin about it but figured others could benefit from the answer.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:05:31 am »
Using RO water, you probably won't use enough citirc acid to make a flavor impact unless you also use a base like pickling lime (calcium hydroxide?).

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:12:47 am »
I thought it would populate when you select it...  WRT flavor.  With my tap (90ppm alkalinity) I get flavor from lactic acid so I suspect you also get it from citric, but you are right, if no alkalinity maybe not so much.  Good question though!  I am also long overdue to bug him how to estimate sauergut somehow. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:16:08 pm »
When one of the solid acids (citric, tartaric, malic) is selected, they no longer rely on the acid strength settings. However, you do need to select Solid in the (%, N, M, Solid) dropdown box.

As mentioned above, if you are using a low alkalinity water for brewing, its unlikely that you'd need to add enough citric acid to create much in the way of flavor effects. But if your water has alkalinity, it could be pretty easy to incur flavor effects from citric. You would need to be careful in that case.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 08:52:10 am »