Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This sure was a "yeasty" batch  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
This sure was a "yeasty" batch
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:49:36 am »
I am somewhat a newcomer and doing small batch BIAB.  I bottled my Belgian Pale Ale yesterday and I gave up waiting for the cap to fall.  Going on three weeks it just hung in there.  I used Wyeast 3522.  Two things I noticed.  The aroma was just the greatest thing I've smelled and there was a TON of trub.  As it was my first Belgian that went off without a hitch, is that a characteristic of those yeasts, thick, persistent cap and tons of trub?  God that smell was delicious.  Now to wait for carbonation...

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: This sure was a "yeasty" batch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:32:25 am »
What you've experienced is not characteristic of Belgian yeasts - at least for the ones I've used.   I've never used the Ardennes yeast so I can't comment about 3522 charachteristics.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:47:47 am »
What you've experienced is not characteristic of Belgian yeasts - at least for the ones I've used.   I've never used the Ardennes yeast so I can't comment about 3522 charachteristics.

I have a lot and no, that's not a characteristic of the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:16:29 am »
Don't know if that's good or bad.  FG was 1.014 and again, the aroma and taste was very nice.  Fermented around 62 degrees.