Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water for standard bitter  (Read 3057 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Water for standard bitter
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:38 pm »
Going to be brewing 7 gallons of standard bitter, OG of 1.039 soon to test differences between WLP030 and WLP033 from The Vault. What water profile should I be using for a standard bitter? SRM of 8.8, so I am planning on an Amber profile, just not sure if Full to get the body such a low OG needs, dry to get the bitter presence of a bitter, or balanced to obviously balance the 2. I guess I am leaning towards balanced, any have a better plan than my best guess?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Water for standard bitter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:41:10 pm »
Best bitters are about the only brews where I push sulfate levels up to 200ppm and enjoy that level with classic british hops.  Chloride levels are present but lowish - 40-50ppm; magnesium is low-moderate - 15ppm; lowish sodium; calcium falls where it does; low/zero RA; pH ~5.3mash.  Obviously I don't bitter quite to the levels of many american beers but it's generally in the ballpark of APAs (35-40ish).  While I don't generally like 200ppm in most beers, for whatever reason it works good for me in my british best bitters.

Edit: Have you received your Klassic Ale strain yet? I'm still waiting.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:43:30 pm »
no on the Klassic, from timing on my 030, I'm expecting it to arrive on the 13th or 14th. Plan is to brew on the 15th or 16th
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:47:56 pm »
Exciting!  I can't wait to play with 033 - I was hoping for late April but guess I can deal with a sooner week :D.  My best bitter looks more like a british golden ale, but is brewed in the style of a best bitter (just lighter cara malts).

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:50:44 pm »
The timing for 030 was delivered almost exactly 2 weeks from notification that it was billed. I was billed for 030 on 3/30/17 so my original thought was right around the 12th-15th but the 030 was delivered on a Thursday. I am pretty sure they time shipping so the yeast is not sitting anywhere over the weekend. Either way I expect to have it in time for that brew day, if not, then IDK, may brew something else
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:54:24 pm »
I don't remember where I got my recipe from, but I brewed this beer back in 2015 and loved it. It is 93.7% 2-Row and 6.3% C120. May not be exactly traditional with no sugar but I liked it a lot back then. Also planned as an ordinary bitter, but came out like 11 points high due to unexpectedly higher efficiency than I had planned on. Once these are brewed and ready, Hope to use the slurries for a porter or 2, an ESB, and an English BW over the course of the next couple months
Frank L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
Agree on 200 ppm sulfate or a little less.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 02:26:04 pm »
I don't remember where I got my recipe from, but I brewed this beer back in 2015 and loved it. It is 93.7% 2-Row and 6.3% C120. May not be exactly traditional with no sugar but I liked it a lot back then. Also planned as an ordinary bitter, but came out like 11 points high due to unexpectedly higher efficiency than I had planned on. Once these are brewed and ready, Hope to use the slurries for a porter or 2, an ESB, and an English BW over the course of the next couple months

I like it - simple and straight-forward.  Not a whole lot of moving parts so it's easy to tell what comes from where.  I can also appreciate the extra gravity on your last batch (ordinary are okay with me, but usually a bit too thin and watery; whereas the "best" level hits my mark for an enjoyable session ale - individual preference is all).

This is what I've been brewing lately as a "best bitter" and have grown quite fond of it:
Code: [Select]
7 lbs                 Pale Malt, Optic (Thomas Fawcett) (2.7 SRM) Grain          83.0 %       
1 lbs                 Barley, Flaked, Briess (1.7 SRM)            Grain          11.9 %       
4.0 oz                Crystal 55, Patagonia (55.0 SRM)            Grain          3.0 %         
3.0 oz                Amber Malt, Crisp (22.0 SRM)                Grain          2.2 %         
1.500 oz              Fuggles [4.98 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop            28.5 IBUs     
1.000 oz              Homegrown Goldings [3.80 %] - Boil 15 min   Hop            6.5 IBUs     
1.000 oz              Homegrown Goldings [3.80 %] - Boil 2 min    Hop            1.1 IBUs     

I actually pitched this one last time "scary low" (60billion cells in 5gallons) per Mark's advice, and while it didn't quite nail the ester profile I was after (this was a strain issue really), it worked out perfectly well for the beer.  Any way, that's probably more than you wanted to know - that happens with me :D

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 05:10:42 pm »
No, I appreciate the recipe input. I could easily see that as a second pitch for one or the other

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 10:59:01 am »
@stpug confirmation email came through yesterday for Klassic Ale. Expected delivery is this Thursday as I had been thinking. Just in time for my brew day this weekend

Frank L.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 11:47:57 am »
@stpug confirmation email came through yesterday for Klassic Ale. Expected delivery is this Thursday as I had been thinking. Just in time for my brew day this weekend

Excellent timing for you!  I just got confirmation as well and it shows Thursday but I generally get things about a day later than estimated.  I'm looking forward to this strain for sure.  My problem now is that I've just filled my pipeline with 5 lagers  ??? ;D (I guess it's time to start the weekly get-togethers to drain some of those quickly)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:54 am »
It actually arrived yesterday, ice pack melted and vials warm to the touch. Straight into the fridge when I got home. Also surprised that both 030&033 were packaged in old school vials rather than the newer pouches

Frank L.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:21 am »
It actually arrived yesterday, ice pack melted and vials warm to the touch. Straight into the fridge when I got home. Also surprised that both 030&033 were packaged in old school vials rather than the newer pouches

I've got my fingers crossed mine show up today.  I was hoping for the "pure pitch" pouch (would be my first) but am comfortable with the old vials.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 10:43:57 am »
I'm comfortable with them as well, just surprised that they still even have them to use since they have been doing pure pitch what now a little over a year?

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 10:44:33 am »
And I was more concerned about the warm state the vials were in after reaching SE Indiana from San Diego

Frank L.