Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I think my local HBS was wrong about Oats?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
I think my local HBS was wrong about Oats?
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:19:19 pm »
Making a small batch Oatmeal Stout out of Mosher's book called Squidwards Inky Ale.  It calls for Oatmeal and also Oatmeal, toasted golden.  So he had flaked oats, then I grabbed another bag I intended to toast in the oven.  He said, "No, no, that's not what they mean," after looking at the recipe in the book.  He then sold me Simpsons Golden Naked Oats Crystal/Caramel Malt (5-10L).  They look like whole oats.  Is this OK to use?  I assume I crush it first?  He said not to crush it, just "crack" it. 

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: I think my local HBS was wrong about Oats?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:29:52 pm »
Yeah, it's pretty unlikely that Mosher meant Simpsons Golden Naked oats - I suspect he literally meant to toast some flaked oats until they were golden in color.

As for the beer, you won't get the same 'toasted' character from the naked oats.  I'd just put those aside and use on a future batch; then get yourself some more flaked oats and toast 'em, golden. :D

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:48:47 pm »
I agree that unless the recipe specified simpson's product then use the home-toasted oats.  Golden naked oats are terrific- but don't tasted toasty.  I use them in pale ales, brown ales, porters - they add some sweetness and creaminess that I enjoy a lot.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:34 pm »
SGNO was not what the recipe intended. Agree with what has been said. I will say that I use SGNO a lot, and are in my Stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »
Thank you!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
SGNO was not what the recipe intended. Agree with what has been said. I will say that I use SGNO a lot, and are in my Stout.

Another +1.  The SNGO are a huskless crystal malt. A good product but not the same as toasting flaked oats in the oven, which I like doing for stouts sometimes. I like to put the toasted oats in a paper bag for a day or two afterward, to offgas and mellow a bit before using.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:50:52 am »

Another +1.  The SNGO are a huskless crystal malt. A good product but not the same as toasting flaked oats in the oven, which I like doing for stouts sometimes. I like to put the toasted oats in a paper bag for a day or two afterward, to offgas and mellow a bit before using.
Nice tip, thanks for posting

Jeff B

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »
There's an "Experimental HomeBrewing" podcast where they talk about oats. "The Mighty Oat" I believe it was. Good info.
Corripe Cervisiam