Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Third transfer fermentaion-add more yeast?  (Read 4181 times)

Offline kaitiura

• 1st Kit
  • Pliny the Elder is brewed five minutes from home!
Third transfer fermentaion-add more yeast?
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:09:47 am »
[I apologize, being new here, if this has been endlessly addressed in these forums!]

I've just transferred my beer to a third fermentation carboy to help with removing an extra-heavy dry-hop application ;), running it through a sterilized cheesecloth on transfer. I'm not a regular brewer and am wondering if I may have screwed myself by removing the solids, maybe losing too much of my yeast when I did that :-\. Do I need to add more yeast when I bottle or will there be enough left in the beer. Secondary fermentation ran for one week and three days after one week of primary. Almost all solids were filtered out on the third transfer. Thanks for any info!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:12:38 am by kaitiura »
"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have." - Steven Wright

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Third transfer fermentaion-add more yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:10 am »
you should be fine and should NOT have to reyeast before bottling.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:52:51 am »
Your only issue would be oxidiation resulting from exposure during the transfers.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:59:54 am »
How did you run it through a cheese cloth?  I thought of oxidation problems as well when you mentioned that.

Offline kaitiura

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:48 pm »
How did you run it through a cheese cloth?  I thought of oxidation problems as well when you mentioned that.
I boiled the cheesecloth a little to sanitize, then stuffed it into the mouth of the carboy on transfer. I know, it sounds risky, and probably is! I won't do it again, but had a HUGE amount of hops left in the carboy after a dry hopping with extra hops to emulate Pliny the Elder and figured I'd try it. Came out clean, but the amount of air that got into the beer was huge... :-[

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »
I can see a case where you might want to have a seocndary for dry hopping (though, in reality you can dry hop in the primary.) Hard for me to come up with a reason for a trimary fermenter in almost any case. And no way should you be straining your beer through cheese cloth. That is a very good way to oxidize your beer.

Next time, just let the beer sit in the primary or secondary and carefully transfer the beer off once the hops have settled - or simply use a hop sock. And save the cheese cloth for .... well ... cheese, I guess. ;)

Offline kaitiura

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »
Your only issue would be oxidiation resulting from exposure during the transfers.

Fred
Roger that, Fred! See below, and thanks!
Kai

Offline kaitiura

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:23:50 pm »
I can see a case where you might want to have a seocndary for dry hopping (though, in reality you can dry hop in the primary.) Hard for me to come up with a reason for a trimary fermenter in almost any case. And no way should you be straining your beer through cheese cloth. That is a very good way to oxidize your beer.

Next time, just let the beer sit in the primary or secondary and carefully transfer the beer off once the hops have settled - or simply use a hop sock. And save the cheese cloth for .... well ... cheese, I guess. ;)
I really appreciate all the great info you all are providing. I knew the cloth was risky, and we'll see if I blew it, but the beer won't have much time to sit around once it's bottled, so that may help a bit.
After some good info from blatz, I may try to hunt down a used SS conical and upgrade my process.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:03 pm »
Pellet hops usually settle out for me.  If I use whole hops I have a plastic screen that fits over the bottom of the racking cane that came with a wine kit (to filter grape skins).  I have heard of others using a piece of SS or copper scrubie on the end of the cane.  I will try this when my plastic screen wears out.

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:19:26 pm »

Fred

First thing I thought, maybe I am learning something finally  ;D
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:40:51 am »
Drink it FAST

If you aerated it that much on transfer its going to get cardboardy pretty quick
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline kaitiura

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 06:00:02 pm »
Shouldn't be any problem drinking it fast! ;) It IS a Pliny wanna-be, with HUGE hops, so it'll live through a little suffering, but any deterioration is bad!