Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anchorage Brewing: Mosaic Saison brewed with Brett  (Read 3708 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Anchorage Brewing: Mosaic Saison brewed with Brett
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:25 pm »
I just have to post about this beer.  Minutes ago I gave it 5 stars on Untappd.  I have only done that with one other beer.  I am not an expert on Saisons, but this is a bullseye as far as I am concerned.  This beer is 2+ years old and yet I think it is right in its prime.  It is dry and bright, with effervescence from bottle conditioning. The slightly sweet, bready maltiness is perfectly balanced with the juicy Mosaic hop flavor that, as odd as it sounds, gives it a chewiness.     A seriously great beer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:39:00 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Anchorage Brewing: Mosaic Saison brewed with Brett
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:22:24 pm »
Interesting. I got a bomber as a gift and was unable to drink it. I had to pour it out becuase it tasted like funky seltzer water. Probably just my unrefined palette.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:27:03 pm »
Interesting. I got a bomber as a gift and was unable to drink it. I had to pour it out becuase it tasted like funky seltzer water. Probably just my unrefined palette.

Interesting indeed!  I only have guesses as to why so that is not helpful.  I sure enjoyed mine!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:05 am »

Or just personal taste.  I absolutely love massively fruity and funky Belgian and farmhouse beers, but my wife can't stomach them.  She's willing to try them, and she'll take a sip and make a face and be like "Yep.. it's a Belgian alright..."  Ironically, when they are doing tastings at like Trader Joes or bottle shops she'll bring something home and tell me "I didn't like this, but you will..." LOL She recognizes the qualities I like in them.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:34 am »
Or just personal taste.  I absolutely love massively fruity and funky Belgian and farmhouse beers, but my wife can't stomach them.  She's willing to try them, and she'll take a sip and make a face and be like "Yep.. it's a Belgian alright..."  Ironically, when they are doing tastings at like Trader Joes or bottle shops she'll bring something home and tell me "I didn't like this, but you will..." LOL She recognizes the qualities I like in them.

Exactly, saison brett isn't everybody's cup of tea (though I love it). And my wife brings home stuff she hates but knows I like, too.  :)
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
Yeah I suppose it was the Brett. I enjoy Saison but it didn't taste anything like one to me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
I don't have a lot of experience with Brett.  I find myself wondering if it is an age thing.  Like I mentioned the beer was over 2 years old.  I kept it that long because of a conversation I had with the owner/brewer while in Anchorage.  He shared an IPA with me that was (as I recall) about 5 years old, which was wonderful and in no way lacking in hop character.  He made the point that Brett scavenges the oxygen in the beer, which preserves the hop character.  So I thought I'd give it a try.

He only brews Brett beers but I do not know what strain(s) he uses.  Another factor is being a fairly small brewery he probably does not have the consistency of a larger brewery with a lab. 

Interestingly, his brewery is in the daylight basement of another brewery, the name of which I have forgotten.  He brews on their system upstairs and then pipes the wort into oak fermentation vats in the basement.  He also does a lot of barrel aging.  The brewery has a cult-like following up there.  On release days for certain beers there is an all-night line at store(s) that sell it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667