Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Movie soundtracks  (Read 5697 times)

Big Monk

Re: Movie soundtracks
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:29 am »
   My thinking was that it doesn't require a great deal of creativity to gather up a bunch of previous hit tunes and make include them in a film, even mediocre films are usually improved an average soundtrack. And the number of movies which include a handful or more of hit songs is almost beyond counting. 

There is an interesting thing here. I agree with you completely that songs are often thrown in to bolster a bad movie, etc.

Sometimes though a single piece of music can be so masterfully paired with a scene as to change both the movie and the song in a very great way.

Scorsese comes to mind with numerous examples:

The Ronettes "Be My Baby" is so masterfully paired with the opening home video montage of "Mean Streets" as to forever change the song and enrich the movie in a way that seems impossible given how popular the song was. Also, Cream's raucous live take of "Steppin' Out" is used in the films final car chase/climax again to dazzling effect. In "Goodfellas", Donovan's "Atlantis" pairs with the violent demise of Billy Bats so remarkably that one can't exclude the two from one another moving forward.

Tarantino's use of "Stuck in the Middle" in "Reservoir Dogs" is a classic: a light hearted Jaunt paired with grotesque violence that forever imprints in your mind when you hear the song.

Kubrick' use of Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" from "Dr. Strangelove" is yet another master stroke.

Also, in the realm of television, and slightly off topic, True Detective S2, as abysmal as the show was, contains a startling scene that is totally changed by the mood created by Bobby Blue Bland's "I Pity the Fool".

Many have taken advantage of this great technique and it is now ubiquitous, but the greats do it well and it is a technique that enriches the film, and the music, when done right.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
Another David Lean film, Dr. Zhivago, had a good soundtrack.

Lots of snow instead of sand.
   Don't think I've ever seen Dr. Zhivago. David Lean also gave us that catchy whistled tune from Bridge on the River Kwai, jungles that time instead of snow and sand.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »
Another David Lean film, Dr. Zhivago, had a good soundtrack.

Lots of snow instead of sand.
   Don't think I've ever seen Dr. Zhivago. David Lean also gave us that catchy whistled tune from Bridge on the River Kwai, jungles that time instead of snow and sand.
Another good one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 09:23:49 pm »
Conan the Barbarian, without a doubt. Without the soundtrack it would be horrible camp. It's still pretty campy, but the soundtrack and cinematography really elevate Conan to another level.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 06:25:55 am »
American Graffiti

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 05:24:42 pm »
   I'm a little surprised no one mentioned "The Doors" or "Heavy Metal". There really is a butt-load of "movie" music out there though.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:20 pm »
Shine, Snatch, Wicker Park, Garden State, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Kill Bill, Singles, The Crow, Almost Famous, Good Will Hunting, Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:26:24 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline vwelter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 12:31:21 am »
I loved the music in Forrest Gump.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
Top Hat, White Christmas, and This is Spinal Tap would be my picks.
Kyle M.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »
Repo Man.

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:54 pm »
Agree with the LOTR.
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
   I meant to include the qualifier of soundtracks that had an original score written specifically for the film. Would you listen to your suggested best just as a work of music, driving in your vehicle or sitting in your easy chair reading a homebrew magazine?

Anything by John Williams or Hans Zimmer.

Stuff I used to listen to on it's own included the Indiana Jones Score (3rd one I think?) and well as stuff from any of the Dan Brown movies.  Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons specifically.

Any of the original Star Wars of course, stand alone.  Apollo 13 had great period specific music, but also a great orchestral score.

Not movie related since it was written long before the movies, but I used to listen to The Lord of the Rings Symphony by Johan de Meij.  It was written in 1988 based on the books.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year