Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan Experiment Writeup  (Read 11388 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Brewtan Experiment Writeup
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »
Well gadzooks.  Maybe I've got to get me some of this magical pink stuff.  Thanks to all the IGORs, Denny, and Drew, for an intriguing set of results.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
Any idea when btb will be available?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 07:01:31 pm »
Any idea when btb will be available?

Hopefully by summer.  I know the wholesaler is deciding this week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 07:23:48 pm »
I've been using BrewTan B (off and on, mostly on) for about 2 years now in both the mash and the boil. I think, if there is a difference, it is something you will see down the road after packaging. I do notice a difference in clarity initially so I have chosen to continue to use it. I would recommend dissolving it first before the mash as well as the  boil because it gets very clumpy (unless, in the experiment, you were dissolving it in the strike water.)

It is very expensive so I'd love not to use it but I do believe it may help with shelf life. But OTOH it is very hard to judge that on the capacity that I brew on.

The only question I have about the experiments is - why on the Earth would any one ever brew a CDA?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:26:17 pm by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
I've been using BrewTan B (off and on, mostly on) for about 2 years now in both the mash and the boil. I think, if there is a difference, it is something you will see down the road after packaging. I do notice a difference in clarity initially so I have chosen to continue to use it. I would recommend dissolving it first before the mash as well as the  boil because it gets very clumpy (unless, in the experiment, you were dissolving it in the strike water.)

It is very expensive so I'd love not to use it but I do believe it may help with shelf life. But OTOH it is very hard to judge that on the capacity that I brew on.

The only question I have about the experiments is - why on the Earth would any one ever brew a CDA?

Heh heh.

Yeah, I dissolve it in the strike water as it heats.  I (we) hope to some some extended aging tests, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 07:41:28 pm »
People using municipal source water and copper components are going to immediately see and taste a difference for sure. The impact of Brewtan B alone is going to decrease the farther away from those variables you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »
People using municipal source water and copper components are going to immediately see and taste a difference for sure. The impact of Brewtan B alone is going to decrease the farther away from those variables you get.

So if i use a S.S. chiller and R.O water there is no benefit of BTB?

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 08:31:21 pm »

I wouldn't say zero benefit but it will certainly lessen as you remove variables that would necessitate its main function.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:38 am »

You'd need to try it and determine that for yourself.

www.dennybrew.com

MaltMaker

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 09:45:02 am »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 11:15:47 am »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:50 pm »
I can't say that I know anything about the reactions that are occurring, but I definitely get a pinkish hue in the spent mash and in the foam in the break as it approaches a boil.  Some have said that it is BTB reacting to metals (iron is the suspect) in the wort (I use RO water that comes from a well at my house).  I may have to try some distilled water to see if it is just my water system.  I can say that I see a difference in clarity with BTB and I use it in the strike water and late boil, prior to and with Whirlfloc in close succession, hydrating it each time.

I can attest to Joe's beers.  I had a recent taste of a RIS of his that took Best in Show at this year's Drunk Monk Challenge last month (out of about 700 entries, IIRC). 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 03:55:29 pm »

I can attest to Joe's beers.  I had a recent taste of a RIS of his that took Best in Show at this year's Drunk Monk Challenge last month (out of about 700 entries, IIRC).

I am sure that was horrid... ;D

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 12:03:17 pm »
So where can I get some of this magic powder?  Wasn't there some place overseas that would ship to the USA?

Also probably a silly question but the comment about spent grain turning pink made me wonder: will it still be safe to feed the spent grain to my chickens?   ;)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 12:33:56 pm »
So where can I get some of this magic powder?  Wasn't there some place overseas that would ship to the USA?

Also probably a silly question but the comment about spent grain turning pink made me wonder: will it still be safe to feed the spent grain to my chickens?   ;)

Down under at https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b.  As for chicken feed, research food grade hydrolysable tannic acid.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny