Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dealing with Protein/Chill Haze  (Read 5997 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Dealing with Protein/Chill Haze
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 09:26:07 am »
British brewing certainly isn't low O2. Just look at the strike water and grist just pouring into the mash tun in the Michael Jackson video here:

http://www.merchantduvin.com/brew-samuel-smith.php

Not to mention all the copper, and that the beer isn't racked to cask in a closed transfer. For those who are averse to low oxygen methods, I think there is a LOT to be learned, and easily implemented, from the Brits.

Oh yes, cask ale matures with the air in the cask. Cask ale lovers will debate if the ale is best on day 2 or 3, but not after 3.

Many British Breweries are Victorian in technology, but not all. Many German breweries are modern technological wonders, but not all.

and somehow they are all capable of making world class beer.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »
Oh yes, cask ale matures with the air in the cask. Cask ale lovers will debate if the ale is best on day 2 or 3, but not after 3.

Many British Breweries are Victorian in technology, but not all. Many German breweries are modern technological wonders, but not all.

Very true. Though not British, Guinness is a good example of a "British-ish" beer that's brewed low oxygen. Though I still don't have proof, Pilsner Urquell might not be low oxygen. To me the trick is to pick whichever application best suits the "beer in your head", so to speak.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Dave Carpenter

• Zymurgy editor
  • Administrator
  • Cellarman
  • Zymurgy editor
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »
OP, are you hitting your OG and FG numbers as expected? I had an issue with haze several years ago that turned out to be a thermometer that was out of calibration. Gave me low numbers and a good deal of haze.
Editor, Zymurgy and AHA Special Projects
American Homebrewers Association

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
OP, are you hitting your OG and FG numbers as expected? I had an issue with haze several years ago that turned out to be a thermometer that was out of calibration. Gave me low numbers and a good deal of haze.

This was my second brew with my SS Brewtech mash tun, so no I haven't yet. First beer was way under target preboil gravity, this particular one was four points over.

FWIW, the beer is now clear, but showing the signs of too much oxidation. (from a cask perspective, it's still fine compared to the Stone IPA for sale down the street...)

I'm going to use whirfloc next time and try and keep as much trub out of the bulk of primary and see where that gets me.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.