Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Charleston, SC Breweries  (Read 3421 times)

Offline mburke36

• 1st Kit
Charleston, SC Breweries
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:52:27 pm »
Little bit last minute but I am heading to Charleston, SC this weekend for a wedding and looking to see if anyone has any brewery recommendations. I did a quick search on the forum but it seemed like some of the other threads were older or didn't get much feedback. I did a Google search and it seemed like there were a decent amount of options, but I'm there for a limited amount of time so wanted to see if there were any recommendations local folks had or if anyone has visited recently.

Offline fish55

• 1st Kit
Re: Charleston, SC Breweries
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:36:41 am »
I have only been to Holy City and the beer was very good and a cool tasting area with garage doors that opened up to the outside seating, games area. I have also had some Westbrook beers and they were also very good, but I have not been to their brewery. My wife and I will be heading down to Isle of Palms and Charleston in late July, so if you have any other recommendations from your visit, I would like to hear once you get back. Enjoy your trip to Charleston, it is a really charming city and we love it every time we go to visit family there. Also, depending on the time you have, I would suggest taking a day trip to Savannah, GA, which is about an hour away.

Cheers!
Mark

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:32 am »
I was down there last year.

Edmund's Oast is an absolute must.

Westbrook kind of sucks IMO.

I missed Holy City and I'm really kicking myself for it as I've heard very good things.

In bottles, Palmetto's stuff is pretty solid.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:28:07 am »
+1 for Holy City.  Nice folks, nice place, and really nice rotating selection of their own brews. 

Charlie P. wrote an article featuring Palmetto last year, and I hate that I missed it on the short trip I had there.

Charleston is a beverage town.  Hit any decent bar or beverage shop and you'll be sure to find most of the locals featured all in one place.  Unless you are chasing something specific, getting a few flights at a good bar might be the best way to sample much of what Charleston has to offer.

Craftsmen Tap House, near City Market, was impressive.  http://craftsmentaphouse.com/
I also liked Bay Street Biergarten.  They have some taps right on the table! http://baystreetbiergarten.com/

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:38:20 am »
By chance was just in Charleston. It was for work so not beer centric. If you need a great restaurant suggestion which is more foodie than steak and seafood try Five Loaves. They have a location near downtown on Cannon Street. The food was great and their beer was SC, but in cans. As far as the SC breweries most are putting out solid brew. Coast is an old favorite and Holy City has a great porter. I have not ventured to Westbrook, but haven't been turned off by their brews when I have found them on draft. A Google search yielded a bunch I have never heard of in the area so try them all. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline mburke36

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:50:10 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to loop back post trip. I didn't attend any actual brewery/taproom but drank local at most places I went. Agree on comments about Westbrook. Wasn't that great. Palmetto is everywhere down there and is solid. Had some great offerings from Holy City as well. I actually had one beer from two breweries down there I hadn't heard of but really enjoyed. They were The Unknown Brewing Company and Revelry Brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk