Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast and Hops not in fridge  (Read 1227 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast and Hops not in fridge
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:31 pm »
I bought my malts, yeast (Wyeast 1098), and hops for a beer about 3 weeks ago. the only problem is I didn't put the Yeast and the Hops in to the fridge and they were at about 60 F to 64 F for all that time. Do you think I should run get replacements for them. I am afraid the yeast especially and the hops wont be good.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:52:47 pm by russell »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast and Hops not in fridge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:44:25 pm »
The hops could be OK.  Open them and see if they smell cheesy.  If not, they're probably good.  Yeast, hard to say...I'd make a starter and see what happens.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:35 pm »
Since it is Wyeast, why not try smacking the pack?  You can still make a starter that way...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
Agreed.  Hops if vacuum sealed you're most likely fine.  If you are worth the wait on your brew day, get a good starter going to check your viability.  However I would not shock your yeast.  Make a small starter .25L and work your way up.  JMHO

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)