Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No visible fermentation activity  (Read 1621 times)

Offline caro

• 1st Kit
No visible fermentation activity
« on: April 19, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »
On Saturday I brewed my 2nd all grain batch, a sasion. I used an oxygen wand for the first time and pitched Omega Yeast OYL-500. It's a 5 gallon batch and the temp has been between 68-75.

My basement smells like fermenting beer; however I don't see any activity in the airlock. Not sure if I should be concerned because of the lack of airlock activity?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: No visible fermentation activity
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
Airlock activity isn't always an accurate indicator of fermentation. Fermenting in a bucket?  If so, the lids (especially after several uses) have a habit of not always sealing well. If you're smelling beer fermenting, it probably is. Make the hydrometer your friend - check gravity in a few days and see where you're at. Being a saison, remember that most saison strains eat through the vast majority of sugar within a week or so, but are pretty slow to reach actual FG. I give my saisons 3 weeks and am generally at FG by then.

You know you're at FG when 2-3 readings are the same, checked a day or two apart each. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline caro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:54:30 pm »
Airlock activity isn't always an accurate indicator of fermentation. Fermenting in a bucket?  If so, the lids (especially after several uses) have a habit of not always sealing well. If you're smelling beer fermenting, it probably is. Make the hydrometer your friend - check gravity in a few days and see where you're at. Being a saison, remember that most saison strains eat through the vast majority of sugar within a week or so, but are pretty slow to reach actual FG. I give my saisons 3 weeks and am generally at FG by then.

You know you're at FG when 2-3 readings are the same, checked a day or two apart each. Good luck!
Didn't think about the lid on the bucket, it's about my 12th batch. I'll check gravity this weekend and keep an eye on it. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline csaszare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
I had a bucket do that to me. After the beer finished I tested the bucket with water and rolled it on its side and it leaked around the lid seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
I don't know if you guys keg, but now and then I'll dip a q-tip into some keg lube and run it around the rubber seal in the bucket lid, much like you'd do on keg o-rings. That and plenty of pushing down around the lid helps.
Jon H.

Offline caro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »
The saison turned out - delicious. Thanks for the advice.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:33:25 pm »
Looks great!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 06:50:55 am »
That saisonstein strain is great.  I was not in love at first but it is has made some special beers for me in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)