Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Yeast Start time  (Read 2867 times)

Offline j0eg

• 1st Kit
Omega Yeast Start time
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:31:00 pm »
I've had to rush a stout to fermentation.  I did not have time to do a starter so I asked to purchase two smack packs of wyeast.  The homebrew brah recommended Omega, as it had 150% culture so I went with it.  It's 9 hours into it and no action.  I'm reading other posts and it looks like this is not atypical. 

I get better action from 1 smackpack of wyeast.  By better, I mean sooner.  I'm used to seeing my beer bubbling away by now.  So I'm fretting an thinking I need to re-pitch tomorrow but cognizant that Omega takes a while.  This is all counter intuitive to me.  Should I be patient or re-pitch tomorrow?

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Omega Yeast Start time
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:15:58 pm »
Be patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:07:55 am »
Yeah, I don't start fretting until until about 24 hours in.  Different yeasts behave differently.

By 150% culture I assume you mean it had 1.5 times the cell count of a Wyeast smack pack.  Even without knowing the packaging date on the yeast you used, nor the OG of your stout, I'd still bet you underpitched.  But all other things being equal I'll still bet it will be OK.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:47:14 am »
Omega doesnt hve the nutrient pack so its slower to start. I had the same experience. Dont worry it will tke off.
Jimmykx250

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
Omega doesnt hve the nutrient pack so its slower to start. I had the same experience. Dont worry it will tke off.

i only use Omega yeasts now, and you are correct.  "Very active" fermentation occurs in about 36 hours, depending on temperature.  I tend to ferment at the lower range of temperatures (63-67F), so I am used to 7-10 day fermentations for beer with OG=1.050.  2+ weeks for heavier beer. 

The Omega Hot Head Ale yeast takes off the fastest (18-24 hours) and finishes the quickest.  It also has a kick-ass temperature range and finishes nicely, so it has become my #1 yeast choice.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline paul

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »
Be patient, Omega is slow!! it will take off.