Author Topic: Multiple strains for saison  (Read 872 times)

Offline pepperford

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Multiple strains for saison
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:01:18 AM »
I have been playing around with a mix of wyeast 3724 Belgian saison (75%) and 3711 French saison (25%) that attenuates great, typically about 1.003 when ramping up to 80f over seven days, but I don't like the silkyness the French gives. Who has used a second strain to get the desired attenuation without the other yeast getting in the way flavor-wise? Thanks

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple strains for saison
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:11 AM »
Omega Saisonstein is a really unique hybrid strain.  I truly think it is one of the better strains out there even though it took some time/age for me to love it.  I will say go about 60% carb sugar if you're bottle conditioning.  It really is a beast when it comes to chewing up fermentables.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
Omega Saisonstein is a really unique hybrid strain.  I truly think it is one of the better strains out there even though it took some time/age for me to love it.  I will say go about 60% carb sugar if you're bottle conditioning.  It really is a beast when it comes to chewing up fermentables.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I agree!!
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
I use 3711 and 3724 together semi regularly. Sometimes pitched together, sometimes I pitch the 3711 as the 3724 is slowing down . Regardless, if you don't like the mouthfeel of the 3711, subbing 1/2 lb to 1 lb of sugar for base malt helps lighten body and mouthfeel.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
I really like Belle Saison actually. it's a crisp, lemony finisher. and is a beast.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline goschman

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
I really like Belle Saison actually. it's a crisp, lemony finisher. and is a beast.

Big fan of this one. I find it to be very similar to 3711 in a lot of aspects. Not sure how it compares in mouthfeel...
On Tap/Bottled: Haze for Daze IPA, G Pils, Maibock, Watermelon Cider         

Fermenting: Kolsch
Up Next: Summer Ale, Gose

Offline kesweeze

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Saisonsteins monster is excellent! While it is most likely a blend of the two strains you mentioned, it has delivered excellent results for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
I have been playing around with a mix of wyeast 3724 Belgian saison (75%) and 3711 French saison (25%) that attenuates great, typically about 1.003 when ramping up to 80f over seven days, but I don't like the silkyness the French gives. Who has used a second strain to get the desired attenuation without the other yeast getting in the way flavor-wise? Thanks

I agree with you on the mouthfeel of 3711, some people love it, I hate it, it's like drinking jello to me. Have you tried the blaugies strain, its wyeast 3726 or imperial yeast "rustic" strain. I've been using it a ton and really really like it. I've heard people are using that in blends with the DuPont strain to avoid the stall.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

I agree with you on the mouthfeel of 3711, some people love it, I hate it, it's like drinking jello to me. Have you tried the blaugies strain, its wyeast 3726 or imperial yeast "rustic" strain. I've been using it a ton and really really like it. I've heard people are using that in blends with the DuPont strain to avoid the stall.

+1,000 to Blaugies/Rustic.  You may like it enough that you don't need to blend... 

Think it is wise to reduce the pitch rate a little?  There's a ton of yeast in there!  I think my last run was a little subdued due to this compared to ole 3726. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
+1,000 to Blaugies/Rustic.  You may like it enough that you don't need to blend... 

^^ Yup.
Jon H.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30:34 AM »
Yes, yes!  Love it with hallertau and cascade.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.