Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Bottling coming up next week.  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
First Bottling coming up next week.
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:43:33 pm »
Our first bottling is coming up next Friday.
Aside for clean/sanitize the bottles, what do we need to pay particular attention to?
When you brew, brew with a happy heart.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: First Bottling coming up next week.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:43:07 am »
Avoid oxidizing the beer.
Use a scale to weigh the correct amount of priming sugar for the carbonation level you expect.
Ensure the priming sugar solution is evenly mixed throughout the beer before bottling.

How this is done depends upon your method/equipment for getting the beer from the fermentor to the bottle.  Some details on this will get you some very helpful tips.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:49 am »
Another generic tip: after the beer is bottled, put it somewhere warm (around 70 degrees) and dark. Don't put it on the concrete floor of your 70 degree basement, though. Wait at least 2 weeks for carbonation.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:30:42 pm »
Auto syphon to the Ale Pail, I'm assuming not to let it splash into the bottling bucket.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:15 pm »
Having the end of the siphon tube flat on the bottom of the bottling bucket and in a curl around the edge will keep the beer moving as you siphon.  This will help distribute the priming sugar solution.  I gently pour the priming solution in after one-third of the beer has been racked.  The end of the siphon tube will be under the spigot lock nut to help hold it down.

One 2.29 gram Domino Dot will give you about 2.4 volumes of CO2.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:44:28 pm by flars »

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:31 am »
I'll have to look, a bag of priming sugar was included in the kit.
I don't know if they say how much sugar to use when we bottle.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:40 am »
Usually, you will use 4-5 oz of sugar for priming. The bag of sugar that is included with the kit is supposed to be the right amount for that beer.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:22 am »

Use a carbonation calculator like this one.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
All kits will contain about 5 ounces of corn sugar to use for priming.  You decide the carbonation level for what you have brewed.  A stout you may want very low carbonation.  A Hefeweizen would be carbonated at a much higher level.  The calculator shows the typical level of carbonation for the style of beer but the level of carbonation is your choice.

Offline bhuff85

• 1st Kit
    • HowToStartHomeBrewing.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:11:10 am »
I will add that if you are cold crashing and are using a priming calc, base the amount of priming sugar to add on the highest temp at fermentation and NOT at bottling.

For the longest time, my beers were coming in under carbed. I was running calcs like the calculators say (temp at bottling); however, I did a lot of reading and found a lot of people mentioned highest ferment temp.

Started doing that and ever since then, my beers have been carbonated to style. No bottle bombs or other issues. Just fantastically carbonated each and every time. It was a good feeling after going through 4 or 5 batches that turned out so underwhelming due to the carb level.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 11:14:27 pm »
Avoid oxidizing the beer.
Use a scale to weigh the correct amount of priming sugar for the carbonation level you expect.
Ensure the priming sugar solution is evenly mixed throughout the beer before bottling.

How this is done depends upon your method/equipment for getting the beer from the fermentor to the bottle.  Some details on this will get you some very helpful tips.
Having the end of the siphon tube flat on the bottom of the bottling bucket and in a curl around the edge will keep the beer moving as you siphon.  This will help distribute the priming sugar solution.  I gently pour the priming solution in after one-third of the beer has been racked.  The end of the siphon tube will be under the spigot lock nut to help hold it down.

One 2.29 gram Domino Dot will give you about 2.4 volumes of CO2.
I would say your biggest challenges are oxidation and getting an even amount of priming sugar into bottles. I use a bottling bucket and auto siphon as was mentioned above. My problem is having some bottles over carbonated and under carbonated bottles.  I have added my priming sugar with 1/3 of the beer in the bottle bucket also as mentioned above.  Some people have recommended I stir my bottle bucket after filling 5 or so bottles to make sure the sugar doesn’t settle to the bottom. I’m wary of this because of oxidation.

I also recommend swing-tops and not bottle capping, personal preference. 
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."