Author Topic: Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain  (Read 8178 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:58 PM »
Took my first gravity reading this morning - 1.008 after 8 days, down from 1.062 at pitching, currently sitting at 23c.  Plan on leaving it at 23c until Thursday, and then crash to 3c and keg on Saturday.  This is of course dependent on the gravity stabilising (will take readings on Tuesday and Thursday).

FWIW Saison strains (and Belgians in general) get most of their attenuation done fairly quickly, but the yeast can be slow to eat the last few points. Personally. I never package a saison before 3 weeks. If this strain really is a 3711 type strain, it could easily end up 1.004-1.002 (or even less).
100% agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 05:54:30 AM »
Took my first gravity reading this morning - 1.008 after 8 days, down from 1.062 at pitching, currently sitting at 23c.  Plan on leaving it at 23c until Thursday, and then crash to 3c and keg on Saturday.  This is of course dependent on the gravity stabilising (will take readings on Tuesday and Thursday).

FWIW Saison strains (and Belgians in general) get most of their attenuation done fairly quickly, but the yeast can be slow to eat the last few points. Personally. I never package a saison before 3 weeks. If this strain really is a 3711 type strain, it could easily end up 1.004-1.002 (or even less).
100% agree with this

Yes, yes!  That can work out another .001-.005 easily. 
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Yeah, that's why I was going to take further readings, and it was dependent on the gravity stabilising.  Also, as I'm kegging this rather than bottling, I'm less concerned about it being totally finished.  Completely agree if I was bottling though, having learnt the hard way with exploding bottles (the super strong belgian ones too) on an early saison.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
Yeah, that's why I was going to take further readings, and it was dependent on the gravity stabilising.  Also, as I'm kegging this rather than bottling, I'm less concerned about it being totally finished.  Completely agree if I was bottling though, having learnt the hard way with exploding bottles (the super strong belgian ones too) on an early saison.

Just my opinion - your saison will be more authentic and you'll like it better if it finishes. A dry 1.004 or less saison is much better than a 1.008. $0.02.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:39 PM »

Just my opinion - your saison will be more authentic and you'll like it better if it finishes. A dry 1.004 or less saison is much better than a 1.008. $0.02.

No probs, I didn't mean to give the idea that I didn't value your opinion.  I'll just keg it when the gravity stops dropping, if it finishes at 1.008 or 1.002 then so be it. 
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
Just taken another gravity reading, it's now at 1.004.  Hopefully that'll be it done, but will take another reading on Thursday.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
Just taken another gravity reading, it's now at 1.004.  Hopefully that'll be it done, but will take another reading on Thursday.

Awesome. It's a beast of a strain if it's 3711 based. Could go lower!
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »
I kegged this on Saturday - it ended up finishing around 1.002 in the end.  Had a try of it prior to carbonating, and it definitely tastes like a saison.  Just trying to work out the correct length of beer line for the kegerator (getting a rather slow flow with 5' of 3/16" line).
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Had a pint of this last night, and I'm pleased with the results.  It's not what I expected, in that I was expecting a hop forward beer, with the yeast providing some complexity, and this beer is definitely yeast driven, with a little hoppy backnotes (despite me fermenting slightly below the recommended temp range).  I'd definitely use the yeast again, it was very easy to deal with and has the benefit of being stocked by my LHBS.
Dom

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
Had a pint of this last night, and I'm pleased with the results.  It's not what I expected, in that I was expecting a hop forward beer, with the yeast providing some complexity, and this beer is definitely yeast driven, with a little hoppy backnotes (despite me fermenting slightly below the recommended temp range).  I'd definitely use the yeast again, it was very easy to deal with and has the benefit of being stocked by my LHBS.

Thanks for the update. Would you say that it is indeed similar to 3711 and perhaps Belle Sasion?
On Tap/Bottled: Wheat, Citrus IPA, Rye Cream Ale, New School Pale

Fermenting: festbier
Up Next: brown, german IPL

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
I've never used those, so can't really comment.

Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
It reminded me of the yeast profile I got from WLP565 when I tried to make a Dupont clone.  I'll try a bottle of Dupont tonight and compare.
Dom

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »
Can't wait for someone to assemble a dry yeast origin chart... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
I've never used those, so can't really comment.

hows the mouthfeel and body of the beer?

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »
I just did a batch with a big load of citra at flame out. It went from 1.050 to 1.005 in 7 days. Had it 19c for thre days and 24c for four days. Not happy with the citra part. I hope it will mellow out a bit over time. I wish I had used some noble hops instead. The yeast character is quite subdued, but it is definitely seasonish. It carbed up and cleared in the bottle after four days. I have had one bottle already, and while it is drinkable now, I think it will be quite nice in a few weeks when the citra mellows out a bit. I am happy with the yeast. I don't think it is quite the same as belle, but is it somewhat close. With 8 grams of sugar per liter, it is maybe a bit to carbonated. Next try will be a low gravity with 30 rye and noble hops. A bit warmer fermented probably. I somewhat think that will be a winner for hot summer days.