Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast  (Read 6132 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Wyeast
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 06:04:20 pm »
My own fault for not harvesting some from my starter. First time I didn't do that in who knows how long, and it had to be a PC. Maybe I'll find someone that keeps it, probably a long shot.

Sounds like an excuse to buy a sixer of Unibroue.
Easy enough to find fresh bottles and again easy enough to step up.

+ yup.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »
My own fault for not harvesting some from my starter. First time I didn't do that in who knows how long, and it had to be a PC. Maybe I'll find someone that keeps it, probably a long shot.

I had a hard time believing they used a bottle strain. I sent them an email. There response was they couldn't say, but not likely the same. Easy enough then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:03 pm »
So I take it, 3864 will not be released this year.

Not as far as I know.
My own fault for not harvesting some from my starter. First time I didn't do that in who knows how long, and it had to be a PC. Maybe I'll find someone that keeps it, probably a long shot. Thanks

Where are you at in Indy?  I think I have a slurry in my fridge, along with a slurry harvested from La Fin Du Monde.  I haven't found the two to be any different, but YMMV.
Joe many thanks for the offer. Your opinion of no difference is good enough. I'll step some up. I'm sure they make something lower % than La Fin.

Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 06:25:22 pm »

I had a hard time believing they used a bottle strain. I sent them an email. There response was they couldn't say, but not likely the same. Easy enough then...

I'm betting (between the lines) that they ferment and bottle with what we know as 3864, but that it's mutated over time to give them some house character. Out of the bottle it works great IMO. I used to culture from Maudite - not quite as strong as La Fin IIRC.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:30:43 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »
Blanche de Chambly is lower abv. But I enjoy la fin much more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:56 pm »
Blanche de Chambly is lower abv. But I enjoy la fin much more.
La Fin is my favorite of the style. Love that beer.

Jeff B

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 09:43:19 am »
To OP's point I don't have anything to add from Wyeast's availability but people who like the Unibroue strain tend to love it deeply and you could probably find somebody who has some slurry they could share. If not here, maybe on one of the facebook homebrewing groups or HBT.

All the more reason why I find it strange that none of the yeast labs (including the new upstarts like giga/omega/yeast bay/etc.) seem to offer this as a year-round strain.

When I use it, I try to start with a low-gravity beer and bottle condition at least part of the batch. I've been successful at stepping it back up off of my own bottle dregs as old as the 2-year old ballpark.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 09:59:55 am »
To OP's point I don't have anything to add from Wyeast's availability but people who like the Unibroue strain tend to love it deeply and you could probably find somebody who has some slurry they could share. If not here, maybe on one of the facebook homebrewing groups or HBT.

All the more reason why I find it strange that none of the yeast labs (including the new upstarts like giga/omega/yeast bay/etc.) seem to offer this as a year-round strain.

When I use it, I try to start with a low-gravity beer and bottle condition at least part of the batch. I've been successful at stepping it back up off of my own bottle dregs as old as the 2-year old ballpark.

There is only one thing that determines if a strain is year round...demand.  It may seem like a lot of homebrewers like a particular strain and still not be enough to make it commercially viable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:32 am »

Great information! I'm glad to hear that. I reached out to The Imperial guys. I was shocked that they called me on the phone. They don't carry that strain, but he also asked about stepping from a bottle. When I brewed my Triple I had filled a few glass gallon jugs for a friend to take on a hunting trip. Talking to him last night about not having that yeast. He said he brought back one jug, and that they never cracked it open. It has been refrigerated the entire time. I picked it up last night and there is plenty of yeast in the jug. I brewed it in late October. Hopefully it will take off. I will brew something low gravity to build me a stash it it is viable. 3864 is hands down, my favorite Belgian strain. 

Jeff B

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:18 pm »
Denny, do you have any idea when 2105-PC (rocky mountain lager) might be released next? Or when it was last released?

That's one thing I miss from their old site - the ability to look at year's past PC release trends to kind of guesstimate when it might come back around :(

We ;picked some lager yeasts, but as far as I can recall that wasn't one of them.  I'll check and get back to you tomorrow.

I know you've been dealing with real life, non-brewing issues lately, and this is certainly not an important or rushed matter, I just thought I'd drop a ^bump^ in case it was forgotten about.  I hope you're getting through whatever's ailing you right now.  Stay strong!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 08:26:53 am »
Denny, do you have any idea when 2105-PC (rocky mountain lager) might be released next? Or when it was last released?

That's one thing I miss from their old site - the ability to look at year's past PC release trends to kind of guesstimate when it might come back around :(

We ;picked some lager yeasts, but as far as I can recall that wasn't one of them.  I'll check and get back to you tomorrow.

I know you've been dealing with real life, non-brewing issues lately, and this is certainly not an important or rushed matter, I just thought I'd drop a ^bump^ in case it was forgotten about.  I hope you're getting through whatever's ailing you right now.  Stay strong!

Thanks for the reminder!  Keep it up til I remember!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 10:23:00 am »
There is only one thing that determines if a strain is year round...demand.  It may seem like a lot of homebrewers like a particular strain and still not be enough to make it commercially viable.

That must be why 1450 is always available! ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:47 am »

That must be why 1450 is always available! ;)

Used 1450 for the first time ever a couple weeks ago.  Kegging this weekend, so we'll see how it turned out pretty soon.

Did a split batch of pale ale and pitched the Barbarian strain in the other fermenter.  Never used that one before either.  Not sure I like the can packaging.  Pretty sure I don't like the higher price.  But what the heck.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton