Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green/Brownish Beer after 1 week of Fermentation  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Dwankmuller

• 1st Kit
Green/Brownish Beer after 1 week of Fermentation
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:52:11 am »
Hey Everyone.

I just started brewing a month or two ago, and this is my fourth batch of beer. After going to The Veil in Richmond, I had to try my own NEIPA recipe. So I whipped up a recipe using resources online and decided the split my batch into two in order to test out dry hopping at the very end of Krausen versus a more typical 7 day dry hop.

After two days of very active fermentation, I dry hopped one of the fermenters (right) and did nothing with the other. On day three when I woke up the beer that was not dry hopped (left) had settled nicely while the one on he right, (that was dryhopped during Krausen) is a murky green/brown color. After 7 days, the beer still looks murky, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone had any tips. My guess is the pellet hops dissolved in the Krausen and for whatever reason just haven't been able to settle. Unfortunately I am fermenting at a slightly higher temperature than recommended, I haven't been able to invest in a Keezer yet...

Stats:
Yeast: Wyeast London Ale III
OG: 1.058
Dryhopped 0.28oz of hop pellets @ Krausen

Anyone ever experienced this? I googled for a while and couldn't find anything. If the beer still looks like this in a week when I go to bottle, should I send it through some kind of filter? (Assuming this beer isn't ruined...)

I cant seem to get the image to upload...sooo: https://goo.gl/photos/jSzFLyD9W4fjS8FB9

Thanks!
Dave

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Green/Brownish Beer after 1 week of Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:41:30 am »
Hop pellets rehydrated does that. I use a bag so I don't have as many issues siphoning over to the bottling bucket.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:41 am »
Dry hops definitely add haze.  You can give it time, or if you like you can add gelatin which will knock that crud out in about 48 hours.  Boil 1/2 cup water in your microwave, remove from microwave, add a pack of unflavored gelatin (like Knox brand), dissolve, cool, and add to the beer.  A day or two later, clarity.  If that doesn't suit your fancy, cold temperatures also help.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:54:14 am »
Both seem a little too clear for a Veil beer. Like maybe you need to add captain crunch and heavy cream to get that Veil character right.

I'd give it a few more days to see if the hop pellet particles will drop out. London Ale III is not a good flocculator. It stays in suspension and it's probably part of what is keeping the hop particles from dropping out. Time and cold are your remedies unless you want to sacrifice the hazy nature of that style. Personally I would give it another few days in the carboy and then bottle. Once it's carbonated stick the bottles in the fridge for a week or so and it will drop fairly bright.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Dwankmuller

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »
Thanks everyone! Today was a second dry hop in both containers, after my 2 week fermentation is complete I will bottle/carbonate for 2 more weeks and then put them in the fridge and hope that it all settles! Ill check back in in three weeks with results.