Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sight glass- anyone using?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
Sight glass- anyone using?
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:10:48 pm »
Looking into getting a couple SB kettles and wondering if the optional sight glass are worth the extra money?  Thanks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Sight glass- anyone using?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »
It's a preference. I prefer less effort when cleaning.

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »
Yup. IMO.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:04:59 pm »
Derek's sight glass is useful to ensure flow and check clarity, but the OP is speaking of a kettle sight glass. Useful for volume.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:20 pm »
Derek's sight glass is useful to ensure flow and check clarity, but the OP is speaking of a kettle sight glass. Useful for volume.

Thanks Stevie! I missed that. These units are for checking flow, clarity, conversion, etc.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:42:01 pm »
  Always the contrarian, I find the sight glass on my boil kettle very useful - but I did have to re-calibrate it, as the factory markings were off by over half a gallon. It definitely is worthless during the boil as for whatever reason the wort boils in the glass long before it does in the kettle itself. Without etched markings in the kettle, it is the only way I have any idea how much sweet wort I am collecting from the mash cooler, unless I was to drain the cooler into a measuring vessel and pour from that vessel into the kettle, which just increases the HSA. At this stage of the learning curve, I'm not real anal about HSA, but I certainly try to avoid it where it can be easily done.
   A lesson I had to learn and re-learn the hard way over the years, too many times to count - find a way to be able to afford what you want and need and don't buy until you can do so, cuz nothing hurts worse when you are short on funds than wasting what money you do have on something that turns out to be less than what you need or expect. Cheap tools are no bargain.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:56:48 pm »
Most of the newer commercial kettles have etched markers. That said, the etching can wear off with cleansers. If I didn't have the etching, I'd be more inclined to get a sight glass.

Offline Rusty Nails

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:52 pm »
I use a birch dowel with marks on it. When I get a new pot, I spend $1.29 on a new dowel. If my son the chef helps me on brew day he can look in the pot and tell me how much is in there, and he is always accurate within a half cup. But then I have to listen to him gripe about someone taking his big stock pots for brewing.

Ed
Southwest Washington

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »
Big Monk,

I assume you are using an induction plate for heating.  How do you like it?  I'm on the fence of either induction or propane. 

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »
Big Monk,

I assume you are using an induction plate for heating.  How do you like it?  I'm on the fence of either induction or propane.

It's actually just a ceramic Waring Pro hot plate. 1300W. I bought it as a factory refurb off of eBay. It's a nice robust unit. Its perfect for my batch size and step mashing 1 gallon batches but is undersized for heating strike water. I still use my main stove for heating strike water in my BK.

It mates well with my controller for mashing though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:33:20 pm by Big Monk »

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:37 am »
On a three tier, a sight glass can be useful on the HLT since it is up high and checking from the top can be difficult.  On my brew kettle I wouldn't want one because it would be difficult to clean.
IMHO
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­