Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPAs and Me  (Read 3760 times)

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
IPAs and Me
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:17:01 pm »
I've read a surprising number of posts from members that don't particularly care for America's most popular craft beer style.  I'm kind of in the middle.  It's just another style to me. There are a few that I love and few that I don't like at all.  Most fall into a huge gray area that's neither great nor terrible (think bell curve).
I know for homebrewing purposes I won't be
making any over about 55 IBUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: IPAs and Me
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »
I'm with you. You can really pump up the aroma of hops without the back of your throat vomit bitterness or pond scum.  It can be Great, it can be Horrible.  I will say that's any beer style out there.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Sammy86

• 1st Kit
  • Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:26:59 pm »
I have to agree...I really have to get myself excited to have an IPA these days...I currently have a gallon and half left of an Two Hearted Ale clone that I'm almost at the point of struggling to finish. The initial bitterness has mellowed so it is a nice beer but my tastebuds are tired...next two five gallons batches are going to be a Pilsner and my American wheat base recipe this time with Amarillo hops.

Big Three Brewing Company est. 2013
Life is too short to drink cheap beer, so brew your own!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »
I rarely drink IPAs anymore but when I'm in the mood for one nothing else will quite do!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
I rarely drink IPAs anymore but when I'm in the mood for one nothing else will quite do!
This 100%!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:10:07 am »

I'm with you Keith, and usually it's mine. I only brew one or two /year now and rarely (if ever) buy IPAs anymore - too much a crapshoot. Most are either not fresh or overly caramelly. I like a hoppy pale ale quite a bit these days.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:40:04 am »
I enjoy a good IPA. I avoid Imperials and doubles. These almost always have a strange table sugar flavor to me.  They also usually have so much hops you can't pick out any of the flavors; I just get a puckering jumble of flavors that are not pleasant.

On most days, I prefer a more moderate level of hop flavor and aroma such as found in an American Wheat or my versions of British Golden (never had commercial).  A very common reaction to people trying my home brew is "It's not bitter!" or "It's so drinkable."   

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:48:31 am »
I'd rather have a pale ale or a hoppy lager most times I crave a hoppy beer. Although IPA has never been my favorite style, I'm not anti-IPA and will drink them from time to time. Most of my beer drinking is 4-5% ABV so it's normally just not something I would drink.

The most dissuasive part of IPAs for me is that so many just chase the fad and many not so well any one stands out from the others. A tapwall half full of citra/simcoe IPAs of middling quality usually has me looking for something else to drink. A really well made IPA is a great beer but most breweries seem to be more interested in cashing in on the IPA fad of the month than perfecting each beer they release (which is not exclusive to IPA, either).
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

IPAs and Me
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:44 am »
I am not a fan of IPA(s). When I go to a taproom, bar, or bottle shop, I am more interested in session strength balanced beers. They are becoming more difficult to find as everyone is brewing hop blasters or high alcohol beers it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:58:23 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:16 am »
I've read a surprising number of posts from members that don't particularly care for America's most popular craft beer style.  I'm kind of in the middle.  It's just another style to me. There are a few that I love and few that I don't like at all.  Most fall into a huge gray area that's neither great nor terrible (think bell curve).
I know for homebrewing purposes I won't be
making any over about 55 IBUs.

My wife won't touch a beer under 70 IBU.  We all have our preferences. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:56 am »

I rarely brew or drink anything else.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 09:46:14 am »
I am not a fan of IPA(s). When I go to a taproom, bar, or bottle shop, I am more interested in session strength balanced beers. They are becoming more difficult to find as everyone is brewing hop blasters or high alcohol beers it seems.

As we discussed on the podcast that's kind of a meaningless metric.  You never really know how many IBUs are in the beer.  Go by taste, not numbers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 05:25:50 pm »

As we discussed on the podcast that's kind of a meaningless metric.  You never really know how many IBUs are in the beer.  Go by taste, not numbers.

You just said your wife won't touch a beer under 70 ibus?

Offline BrewBama

IPAs and Me
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 05:32:41 pm »

Agree, but then you shouldn't use a number to describe the beers your wife likes. However, if I can associate an "IBU" number with a taste I can plan better. This chart is a tool I use to plan. As an example, when I was in the Army I 'called slingloads' in helicopters. IOW I told the pilot how far the load was off obstacles. Mind you I was looking straight down so 1 foot wasn't really 1 foot. It was 1 of my units of distance I named 1 foot. That's the way I think of IBU(s).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:20:00 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 04:55:49 am »

I rarely brew or drink anything else.

Yeah, a lot of people in this region are the same way. I find it disappointing and narrow minded. :P

OTOH at least you have a slew of good IPAs where you live. There are some down right nasty ones produced here locally that are very popular.

Along the same lines: One of the reasons I don't care for IPAs as much any more is because my alcohol tolerance is a good bit lower than it used to be. 2 or 3 IPAs can make me feel the affects (flushed face, buzz) where as 2 or 3 under 6% ABV beers has minimal effect. I rarely drink beers much over 6% during the warmer months. That said I do drink a fair amount of bourbon. ;)

As far as pale ales go, I like a good pale ale as long as it is balanced. I can't stand thin, watery and explosively hoppy "Session IPAs". I have never found a "Session IPA" that I really like.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:02:11 am by majorvices »