Author Topic: Belgian Dark Strong / Quad Stalling?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Belgian Dark Strong / Quad Stalling?
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:42:56 AM »
I brewed Denny's Batch 400 from Homebrew All-Stars a few weeks back.  Followed the fermentation schedule of 63 for five days, and then 70 till finish.  The beer then stalled out at about 1.029 vs. calculated 1.009.  I used Wyeast 3787 from a stepped starter.  Used what I thought was plenty of oxygen.  After a few weeks, I moved it up to 80, hoping to get it to ferment further. 

Anything I could have done better to get this to ferment out?  It tastes good, but a little sweeter than I would like. 

Big Monk

Re: Belgian Dark Strong / Quad Stalling?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:49:21 AM »
I brewed Denny's Batch 400 from Homebrew All-Stars a few weeks back.  Followed the fermentation schedule of 63 for five days, and then 70 till finish.  The beer then stalled out at about 1.029 vs. calculated 1.009.  I used Wyeast 3787 from a stepped starter.  Used what I thought was plenty of oxygen.  After a few weeks, I moved it up to 80, hoping to get it to ferment further. 

Anything I could have done better to get this to ferment out?  It tastes good, but a little sweeter than I would like.

What was the mashing schedule like?

Offline waltsmalt

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:12:15 AM »
90 mins at 147

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:18:00 AM »
90 mins at 147

Maybe you fermented too cold? I've personally never started 3787 lower than 65 fa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:36:04 AM »
90 mins at 147

Maybe you fermented too cold? I've personally never started 3787 lower than 65 fa

I ferment that strain at 64 all the time no problems.

Did you use any sugar/candi syrups? I don't know the recipe so hard to trouble shoot without more info.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
I use 3787 @ 64F too, for a few days then ramp. Works well for me.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
90 mins at 147

But I have and gotten great attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
90 mins at 147

I ferment that strain at 64 all the time no problems.

Did you use any sugar/candi syrups? I don't know the recipe so hard to trouble shoot without more info.

The recipe calls for both sugar and D180.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »
90 mins at 147

But I have and gotten great attenuation.

Just trying to help the OP troubleshoot. His mash profile and all the rest points toward a very fermentable beer so I'm just trying to suss out why he would have gotten such poor attenuation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 05:19:43 PM »
Just trying to help the OP troubleshoot. His mash profile and all the rest points toward a very fermentable beer so I'm just trying to suss out why he would have gotten such poor attenuation.

I don't know either, but if he followed my recipe and process we can at least eliminate those as variables.  Maybe thermometer miscalibration?  Poor yeast health?  Have no specific reason to suspect either...kinda thinking out loud.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »

I don't know either, but if he followed my recipe and process we can at least eliminate those as variables.  Maybe thermometer miscalibration?  Poor yeast health?  Have no specific reason to suspect either...kinda thinking out loud.

The syrup alone would mean you'd have to really try to not get full attenuation.

To the OP: how was your starter? What are your Yeast management methods in general?

Thermometer was calibrated?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

The syrup alone would mean you'd have to really try to not get full attenuation.

To the OP: how was your starter? What are your Yeast management methods in general?

FYI, here's the recipe....http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/dennys_400th_-_variation_002x.pdf

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »

FYI, here's the recipe....http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/dennys_400th_-_variation_002x.pdf

I know it well. Not as well as you but I know it.

Offline waltsmalt

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »
My yeast was from a starter that I started with two packs of 3787 and 3 quarts of starter wort.  Then I crashed, decanted, and added three more quarts of wort.  Based on standard calculations I should have had pitched enough yeast. 

I'm wondering if it could be anything with my fermenter?  Ferment in a sanke keg with a corny lid that is welded in.  I vent CO2 through the out post into a jar of sanitizer.  It seems to release pressure just fine as it bubbles vigorously through the first phase.  I often wondered if it's not enough thoough, and creating back pressure?  Probably not, as many people ferment in corny kegs just fine.  I

Sort of at a loss here.  Going to chalk it up to yeast health in some fashion, keg it, and move on to the next batch.  It does taste very good, just a little too sweet.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.  Is it worth trying to pitch more yeast?

Big Monk

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
My yeast was from a starter that I started with two packs of 3787 and 3 quarts of starter wort.  Then I crashed, decanted, and added three more quarts of wort.  Based on standard calculations I should have had pitched enough yeast. 

I'm wondering if it could be anything with my fermenter?  Ferment in a sanke keg with a corny lid that is welded in.  I vent CO2 through the out post into a jar of sanitizer.  It seems to release pressure just fine as it bubbles vigorously through the first phase.  I often wondered if it's not enough thoough, and creating back pressure?  Probably not, as many people ferment in corny kegs just fine.  I

Sort of at a loss here.  Going to chalk it up to yeast health in some fashion, keg it, and move on to the next batch.  It does taste very good, just a little too sweet.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.  Is it worth trying to pitch more yeast?

Have you calibrated your thermometer recently? What style is it?

As Denny said above, the usual suspects don't seek to be panning out, assuming you followed his recipe to a T.