Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High Pressure Lager Yeast  (Read 2297 times)

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
High Pressure Lager Yeast
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:02:21 am »
I probably should have asked this before brew day, but now I have a learning experience...

Brewing a Helles with WLP925, all fermentation to be done in a corny keg with an automatic pressure relief valve on the gas port.  How much head space should I leave in the keg?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: High Pressure Lager Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:28 am »
Transfer to a fermentation vessel... problem solved.

Capitan obvious has had a strong influence today.  I am only guessing at 1/2 gallon in the corny and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:22:40 am »
Transfer to a fermentation vessel... problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

What fermentation vessel, other than a keg, do you recommend that can maintain 15psi?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:39 am »
I brew smaller batches (~3 gallons in primary), so headspace isn't really an issue for me in a 5-gallon corny. That said, if you're under 15 PSI in a closed vessel, I can't imagine needing much headspace - especially for a lager yeast.

What are you brewing with it? I have two vials, myself. I'm thinking either CAP or something Pabst-ish for my first, and then something like a Dunkel or Helles with the 2nd.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:33:52 am »
I brew smaller batches (~3 gallons in primary), so headspace isn't really an issue for me in a 5-gallon corny. That said, if you're under 15 PSI in a closed vessel, I can't imagine needing much headspace - especially for a lager yeast.

What are you brewing with it? I have two vials, myself. I'm thinking either CAP or something Pabst-ish for my first, and then something like a Dunkel or Helles with the 2nd.

I did a Helles.  Haven't done one before, so took the recipe straight from Brewing Classic Styles and adjusted in BeerSmith for my equipment.  Built up a starter, so it took off nice and quick.

I had liquid pretty close to the gas port when I closed it up.  I thought the pressure would keep it down, but I guess there was some foaming or something.  Went away for a few hours and came back to a fine mist being sprayed out of the valve.  Rectifying that situation was rather messy (beer volcano!), but it's all good now.  Valve is now holding 1 bar and no fluid is escaping with the CO2.