Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No sign of activity after racking on Roeselare Yeast Cake.  (Read 2376 times)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
No sign of activity after racking on Roeselare Yeast Cake.
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:33 am »
I bottled a Flanders Red and racked an Oud Bruin on top of the Roeselare yeast cake about three hours later. I'm curious what kind of activity one would expect in this scenario. There's been no type of krausening visible, but maybe that's to be expected. It's been doing it's thing at about 65 degree's for 10 days (current room temperature). The initial pitch for the Flanders Red was the most violent fermentation I've ever seen. I'm not really worried about it, but wondering whether I need to pull a sample already to see if it's fermenting along or perhaps even crank up the temperature closer to 68-70.

Thanks all.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: No sign of activity after racking on Roeselare Yeast Cake.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:48:08 pm »
It's a good question and I don't have an answer, but I have a wild guess.  If no activity is outwardly visible and you have ruled out things like a leaky seal or other typical issue, it could be that the slurry was so old that the Saccaromyces is just not going to make it.  The Brett and Pedro part of the lure will eventually get going, I am sure.  You could add some new yeast to see if that is the issue.  I also have concerns about the balance of the percentages on a re-pitch - I think it is possible that the saccaromyces that are alive may be woefully outnumbered and having trouble getting going.  That is my WAG of the day...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:51:36 pm »
I just checked out the Wyeast site:

https://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/roeselare-ale-blend

It says propagation does cause a change in proportions among the critters.  They suggest not propagating it. 

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:50 pm »
Not only is that a difficult prop, I believe the lower pH damages the sac strain.  Therefore causes issues with it's performance.  I think you may have been better off using it after first 3 days of active fermentation with a new chico strain.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:11 am »
Well damn. I read numerous posts and articles that stated the second use of Roeselare produces an even more sour beer on it's second usage. A variety of reports suggested success racking straight onto the yeast cake. Perhaps they did start with a clean fermentation first before racking and either didn't make that clear or I glanced over it. Would the beer turn to sour if I were to pitch a new pack of Roeselare into the fermenter? Roeselare everywhere! On top! On the bottom! or should I just transfer it out and start primary over?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:42 am »
I would consider pitching a neutral saccharomyces strain (US-05 or similar).  I would not rack it over.

But, if you are willing to try the wait and see approach - do nothing - it might give you something that you really like.  It's hard to say, but some folks have re-pitched the Roeselare with success.

I have a 5 year Solera project going and I pitch new Roeselare each time on the "new, green" beer for blending with two other laid up batches (one older blended batch is in a 5 gallon bourbon barrel and the other is in glass).  I blend among all three and load up the barrel with the unused part of the new batch that I have left after I have racked out for the blending.  The largest proportion in the blend is the new Flanders.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:25 pm »
Too impatient I guess. Two days ago coupled with a bump in temperature and the yeast cake is firing angrily away. Had a two week lag time is all. Who knows how the balance of the bugs will sort itself out, but what's escaping the airlock smells as it should.

All seems well. Nothing to see here  :o

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:05 am »
Good to hear.  I am sure you will have a great Flanders Oud Bruin in a few months.  Patience until then....