Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good deal on Zymatic  (Read 7493 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Good deal on Zymatic
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:43:30 am by alestateyall »

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Good deal on Zymatic
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:09:34 am »
That is nice, now I just need to find an extra $1379!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:27:38 am »
Being able to pay with Apple Pay is dangerous. One thumb print on the phone leads to a hand print on the face once the significant other finds out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:52:36 am »
That's a great deal.  I just used mine yesterday to brew some Rye IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:49:57 am »
It might be a good deal, but is still too rich for my blood. Heck I spent less than that on the last car I bought.
 :D
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 10:40:52 am »
It might be a good deal, but is still too rich for my blood. Heck I spent less than that on the last car I bought.
I'm cheap too, but, that's impressively cheap.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:24:43 pm »
Used my Zymatic 4 times last week and planning on using it at least that much this coming week. It is so easy to use I am starting to get in the habit of using it almost every day or until I run out of fermentors.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:58:01 pm »
Used my Zymatic 4 times last week and planning on using it at least that much this coming week. It is so easy to use I am starting to get in the habit of using it almost every day or until I run out of fermentors.

I don't know if you need it, but a brewery here uses theirs to produce wort for yeast propagation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
Sidebar question: if you make lots of one off beers with the Z do you have to register the recipe with the government? Or can you just make one offs and sell them in the tap room without much government hassle?

Just curious.

As a homebrewer, making 4 Z batches per week would quickly run afoul of Alabama law which limits my production to 15 gallons per quarter. :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 04:27:32 pm »
Sidebar question: if you make lots of one off beers with the Z do you have to register the recipe with the government? Or can you just make one offs and sell them in the tap room without much government hassle?

Just curious.

As a homebrewer, making 4 Z batches per week would quickly run afoul of Alabama law which limits my production to 15 gallons per quarter. :)

LOL Alabama law. Sorry not going to let any state government dictate how much I can brew at home. I brewed illegally for years and years before I even knew it was illegal here in Alabama. I was not aware that there is a 15 gallon per quarter rule but there is no way in hell I would let that slow my brewing down. The Federal law is one thing: 200 gallons per adult u[p to 400 gallons I think? That's a hell of a lot of brewing. But 15 gallons a quarter? Really? That's laughable.

But, yes, we have to register any beer we brew that we intend to sell with the ABC. Not the feds though. We just have to track what we produce so we pay taxes on it. Technically we only have to have formula approval from the Feds if we are selling out of state. But for any beer we intend on packaging and shipping out of tap room we go ahead and do the footwork and have everything approved by TTB (also, we are in 2 states now so thatonly makes sense.)

As far as business goes we play it 100% by the book as close as possible. But I would never let a stupid state law dictate how much beer I can brew at my house. That's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:31:29 pm by majorvices »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »

Just curious.

LOL Alabama law. Sorry not going to let any government dictate how much I can brew at home. I brewed illegally for years and years before I even knew it was illegal here in Alabama. I was not aware that there is a 15 gallon per quarter rule but there is no way in hell I would let that slow my brewing down.

But, yes, we have to register any beer we brew that we intend to sell with the ABC. Not the feds though. We just have to track what we produce so we pay taxes on it. Technically we only have to have formula approval from the Feds if we are selling out of state. But for any beer we intend on packaging and shipping out of tap room we go ahead and do the footwork and have everything approved by TTB (also, we are in 2 states now so thatr only makes sense.)

As far as business goes we play it 100% by the book as close as possible. But I would never let a stupid law dictate how much beer I can brew at my house. That's ridiculous.
I don't really care about the Alabama law. I don't think Alabama really cares how much I brew.

I think brew under the limit anyway. I take a few growlers to parties, and have friends over sometimes, but, otherwise it's just me drinking.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 06:06:00 am »

Just curious.

LOL Alabama law. Sorry not going to let any government dictate how much I can brew at home. I brewed illegally for years and years before I even knew it was illegal here in Alabama. I was not aware that there is a 15 gallon per quarter rule but there is no way in hell I would let that slow my brewing down.

But, yes, we have to register any beer we brew that we intend to sell with the ABC. Not the feds though. We just have to track what we produce so we pay taxes on it. Technically we only have to have formula approval from the Feds if we are selling out of state. But for any beer we intend on packaging and shipping out of tap room we go ahead and do the footwork and have everything approved by TTB (also, we are in 2 states now so thatr only makes sense.)

As far as business goes we play it 100% by the book as close as possible. But I would never let a stupid law dictate how much beer I can brew at my house. That's ridiculous.
I don't really care about the Alabama law. I don't think Alabama really cares how much I brew.

I think brew under the limit anyway. I take a few growlers to parties, and have friends over sometimes, but, otherwise it's just me drinking.

Sorry, I got a little chippy there. Over reaching laws like that just really raise my hackles.

Anyway ... Keep in mind the Zymatic only makes 2.5 gallons at a time. At first I thought that was a hindrance but now I look at it as a nice size batch. If you want to brew 5 gallons you can just brew 2 back to back batches.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:24:10 am »

I must admit that it was a long time ago. I haven't owned a car in quite a few years. I take public transportation most of the time and borrow my daughter's car when I have to drive somewhere.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:06 am »

I must admit that it was a long time ago. I haven't owned a car in quite a few years. I take public transportation most of the time and borrow my daughter's car when I have to drive somewhere.
That's great. Southern cities really aren't setup for public transportation.

I don't qualify as cheap anymore. I ordered the Zymatic. $1379 shipped with full warranty and all the bells and whistles seems like a deal that won't come around again soon.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:26 am »

Just curious.

Sorry, I got a little chippy there. Over reaching laws like that just really raise my hackles.

Anyway ... Keep in mind the Zymatic only makes 2.5 gallons at a time. At first I thought that was a hindrance but now I look at it as a nice size batch. If you want to brew 5 gallons you can just brew 2 back to back batches.
I think the beer industry is a case study in wealthy companies using regulation to limit competition. It makes me mad too.