Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Dark Strong / Quad Stalling?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Dark Strong / Quad Stalling?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 11:07:45 am »
I assumed he was opening to add something.  But maybe opening and leaving it is what he meant...

If I opened it and left it, I'd do what Denny suggests but I'd also try to warm it.  I don't think opening it will do enough on it's own.

Agreed.  At this point I'd do both.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 12:56:18 pm »
It's at 80 right now, should I go any warmer than that?  What's is th ceiling that you would go on this yeast?

I can pull the corny lid and replace with foil if I'm going the path of the open ferment.  I've always wondered if at some point the chest freezer I ferment in would have pressure as well (probably not enough CO2 produced to create pressure within).

I think I will try the fast fermentation test.  We have plenty of bread yeast around.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
It's at 80 right now, should I go any warmer than that?  What's is th ceiling that you would go on this yeast?

I can pull the corny lid and replace with foil if I'm going the path of the open ferment.  I've always wondered if at some point the chest freezer I ferment in would have pressure as well (probably not enough CO2 produced to create pressure within).

I think I will try the fast fermentation test.  We have plenty of bread yeast around.

Nope, 80 is absolutely the highest I'd go.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 01:12:22 pm »
Nope, 80 is absolutely the highest I'd go.

Agreed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 04:06:56 pm »
How much instant bread yeast I should use with sample pulled from the fermenter if I'm attempting a fast fermentation test?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »
I used a whole packet when I did it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:50 am »
How much instant bread yeast I should use with sample pulled from the fermenter if I'm attempting a fast fermentation test?

A lot.  Exact amount doesn't matter.  You're simply testing the limit of attenuation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 01:31:57 pm »
Well...did a force fermentation and the gravity didn't move.  So I'm going to drop the temp and keg it.  I think it will still be a drinkable beer, just not exactly what I wanted.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 01:40:54 pm »
Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure?

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 09:25:28 pm »
Using both.  Checked first with refractometer, and then used a hydrometer.  I have been using on batches lately and I'm finding the adjustment calculators for the refractometer to be pretty close.  I also recently calibrated my refractometer with distilled water.