Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reommendations for brewpubs, restaurants, etc... at NHC?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline guido

• Brewer
Reommendations for brewpubs, restaurants, etc... at NHC?
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
I'm starting to get excited for the conference in MSP. Can any locals recommend some craft beer hot spots?
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: Reommendations for brewpubs, restaurants, etc... at NHC?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:16:38 pm »
There are a lot of options. I'll throw out a few to get the ball rolling.
Surly, Summit, Town Hall, Republic. If your out and about, my local brewery is Big Wood in White Bear Lake. And for the best pizza in the cities, Pezzo, also in White Bear.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
The Happy Gnome looks like it has potential.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline mypenguin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »

Happy Gnome is good.  Try working your way up to NE Minneapolis.  Dangerous Man, Indeed, 612 Brew, Bauhaus, Sociable Ciderworks, and a new one I haven't been to Able Seedhouse.   That's 7 breweries within about 5 miles. Then go get a 2lb gyros from Holy Land Deli on Central. 

Want food?  Go to Matt's which isn't overly far from the Convention Center, or even The Nook.  Both are known for their Juicy Lucy burgers.  Obama ate at Matt's. Both dive bars.  Stub and Herbs on the U of M campus has a pretty good tap list and also good burgers.  If you want some awesome/authentic Korean food, there is a place next door called the Korea Cafe. 
Not overly far from the convention center is Hell's Kitchen.  Awesome breakfast place as well as a good happy hour menu.  I have a feeling Key's Cafe will also be a popular breakfast destination.  Minneapolis is really a foodie town, lots of places.  Butcher & The Boar (also awesome beers), Bachelor Farmer, Haute Dish.  I'm pretty damn excited as you can tell and happy to share any knowledge.

Offline ncbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:02:28 pm »
Any locals recommend Psycho Suzi's? I saw it once on D,D&D and the food looked interesting, beer selection weak but acceptable.

Offline scook13339

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:04:03 pm »

Happy Gnome is good.  Try working your way up to NE Minneapolis.  Dangerous Man, Indeed, 612 Brew, Bauhaus, Sociable Ciderworks, and a new one I haven't been to Able Seedhouse.   That's 7 breweries within about 5 miles. Then go get a 2lb gyros from Holy Land Deli on Central. 

Let me second the northeast (or as we say "Nordeast") brewing district. All the places listed are terrific. Across the street from Holyland is Fair State Brewery Co-op which does really interesting sours and funky.

Best of all it is an easy get to on the bus and once there it is an easy and attractive place to walk

Offline sfletty

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:17:16 am »
Check out the top 10 from the local committee:

Top Ten places in MSP - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1pP-NbvhYfPcF3RJVL3c2_7J8EOY&usp=sharing

Offline sfletty

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 08:25:20 am »
So many other places that didn't make the Top 10 cut...all places downtown or close-ish to downtown...easy by light rail or Uber. Places I'd take someone, that I go myself as a local.

Off the top of my head...

Butcher and the Boar
Alma
The Nook
Punch Pizza
Bang Brewing
The Tea House (Chinese food)
Little Szechuan
Tori Ramen
Unideli (for the Ramen)
Hong Kong Noodles
Bona (for the pho)
Hi Lo Diner
Broders Pasta Bar
Utepils Brewery

Will post more later....

Offline scook13339

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 08:31:28 am »
Many great suggestions. Let me add a favorite.

Sea Salt is a seasonal seafood restaurant in Minnehaha Park. Always a line, outdoor seating, often live music. Good to very good  selection of local craft beer.

Take the Blue Line toward mall of America, get off at Minnehaha Park station cross the road turn left over the falls and you're there