Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water profile for Belgian Dark Strong?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Bru'n Water profile for Belgian Dark Strong?
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »
My next brew is going to attempt to be a clone of Westvleteren 12.  What Bru'n Water profile should I use?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Bru'n Water profile for Belgian Dark Strong?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »
My next brew is going to attempt to be a clone of Westvleteren 12.  What Bru'n Water profile should I use?

Brown Full for me.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 01:23:15 pm »
In my BDSAs all the color comes from the syrup so I set Bru'nwater to just the grain color....usually very light since it's all pils malt/  You don't need to account for color if it doesn't come from the mash IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 02:09:26 pm »
In my BDSAs all the color comes from the syrup so I set Bru'nwater to just the grain color....usually very light since it's all pils malt/  You don't need to account for color if it doesn't come from the mash IMO.

Good point, Denny - totally depends on your recipe. I like around 8 oz of Special B in mine aside from the syrup, which leaves the base beer more brown. Just pale malt and syrup would change things.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 03:17:12 pm »

Good point, Denny - totally depends on your recipe. I like around 8 oz of Special B in mine aside from the syrup, which leaves the base beer more brown. Just pale malt and syrup would change things.

Yep.  The point is use whatever color comes from the grain you use, not the overall color of the beer if it comes from syrup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:03 pm »
Can't go wrong with something simple. Assuming RO/Distilled, just add 40-50 ppm Calcium. I don't know that you need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:49:47 am »
Just don't be petrified of including sulfate in your water. Use enough to dry the finish of your beer to the degree that you prefer. This can be especially true when brewing big beers that may not attenuate very well. Zero sulfate is rarely the proper recommendation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:35:40 pm »
Just don't be petrified of including sulfate in your water. Use enough to dry the finish of your beer to the degree that you prefer. This can be especially true when brewing big beers that may not attenuate very well. Zero sulfate is rarely the proper recommendation.

Off topic, but why I also mash low (149F) when making a BDS.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
Excellent points!  Thank you all.  Yes, I am getting all my color from syrup.

So I have it set to Yellow Dry for the profile, and I am targeting 5.4 pH
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:51:51 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton