Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Final Gravity?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline AAdamski13

• 1st Kit
Final Gravity?
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:02 pm »
Ok, one more stupid Newb question...

Last week after about 5 days my fermentation slowed to about 3 bubbles a minute, was previously going over 70 a minute. So i transfered to my secondary fermenter (a glass carboy). I took a specific gravity measurement at that time, but my question is, is this my Final Gravity measurement? Or do i wait for bottling day to take a last SG reading?

I'm currently seeing small bubbles in the airlock. :)

Thanks!
Andre
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:05:00 pm by AAdamski13 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Final Gravity?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:05:47 pm »
You know you're at FG when you get 2 or 3 identical hydrometer readings, each a day or two apart. Airlock activity can't be trusted to verify that you're at FG, or you run the risk of bottle bombs. Make the hydrometer your friend. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:42 pm »
You should confirm that final gravity has been reached in the primary before racking to a secondary clearing vessel.  You can also skip the secondary vessel if not adding fruit, oak, fermentables, etc.  The beer will clear nicely in the primary given enough time.  Three weeks is my typical primary time for most ales.

Your beer may not have finished fermenting in five days.  The bubbles you see in the air lock may just be CO2 coming out of solution or the fermentation trying to finish.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »
99% of the time a secondary is not necessary.  It's possible it could even be detrimental.  Check this out...https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg191642#msg191642
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AAdamski13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:34 am »
Thanks for the info. I was confused by the contradictory instructions in the Brewers Best kit that suggested 

"When fermentation is complete (no bubbles for 48 hours) take a FG reading"

They also recommended "When the fermentation slows (5-7 days), but before it completes, simply transfer the beer into the carboy and allow for fermentation to finish in the secondary."

So if transferring to secondary is not recommended "if not adding fruit oak or fermentables etc." Do most people stick with their plastic bucket for entire fermentation or do they switch to the carboy before/after pitching yeast?

I would prefer using the carboy because i can see what is happening inside.

thanks,
AA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:26:51 am »
Thanks for the info. I was confused by the contradictory instructions in the Brewers Best kit that suggested 

"When fermentation is complete (no bubbles for 48 hours) take a FG reading"

They also recommended "When the fermentation slows (5-7 days), but before it completes, simply transfer the beer into the carboy and allow for fermentation to finish in the secondary."

So if transferring to secondary is not recommended "if not adding fruit oak or fermentables etc." Do most people stick with their plastic bucket for entire fermentation or do they switch to the carboy before/after pitching yeast?

I would prefer using the carboy because i can see what is happening inside.

thanks,
AA

I use the buckets all the way through.  I used to use carboys, but found too many disadvantages to them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:04:20 pm »
I use Better Bottles (plastic carboys) all the way through.  I've tried buckets, but never really liked them.  Nothing against them, I just always had ones with spigots which skeeve me out as they seem impossible to clean.

I ditched glass years ago due to safety concerns.

Go with what you like and don't be afraid to leave the beer in one vessel until completion.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:42:40 pm »
99% of the time a secondary is not necessary.  It's possible it could even be detrimental.  Check this out...https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg191642#msg191642

Denny, thanks for that link! It really solidifies when (and not) to rack to a secondary.

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:21 am »
I've always used buckets because they are easier to clean i.e.a special  carboy washer is not needed.

I've got more brewing equipment scattered around than is easy to keep track of so I'm interested is keeping things as simple as possible.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:06 am »
I've stuck to using buckets, they seem to be the cheapest and easiest to use. I originally bought a conical ferment chamber with a ball valve drain and I was disappointed at how expensive it was, here I am still using buckets over the expensive fancy stuff.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:56 am »
+1

I like to keep things as simple as possible.  Any extra step includes the risk of more oxidation and also possible infection.

One other practice I've given up is rehydrating dried yeast  As Denny has pointed out, it isn't necessary.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!