Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eliminating diacetyl after cold crashing  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Eliminating diacetyl after cold crashing
« on: May 27, 2017, 03:33:53 pm »
So, I brewed a pilsner, and was trying out my new fermentation chamber. Quick breakdown of the situation:
  • Brewed 5 gallons, split into two fermenters (3.5 gallon brewbuckets)
    • Fermented 2.5 gallons cold (14.4 C (58F), short ~1 day diacetyl rest at 18.3C (65F)). Cold crashed & gelatin fined
    • Fermented 2.5 gallons at room temperature (72 F), cold crashed and gelatin fined

I have a definite diacetyl/ butterscotch taste to the cold fermented beer, I tried letting it rest at  room temperature for a few days to see if it could clean up. No such luck. Any tips on how to fix this? I was thinking about throwing some yeast and a bit of DME or sugar in, but I wasn't sure if there was anything easier.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Eliminating diacetyl after cold crashing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 03:36:26 pm »
So, I brewed a pilsner, and was trying out my new fermentation chamber. Quick breakdown of the situation:
  • Brewed 5 gallons, split into two fermenters (3.5 gallon brewbuckets)
    • Fermented 2.5 gallons cold (14.4 C (58F), short ~1 day diacetyl rest at 18.3C (65F)). Cold crashed & gelatin fined
    • Fermented 2.5 gallons at room temperature (72 F), cold crashed and gelatin fined

I have a definite diacetyl/ butterscotch taste to the cold fermented beer, I tried letting it rest at  room temperature for a few days to see if it could clean up. No such luck. Any tips on how to fix this? I was thinking about throwing some yeast and a bit of DME or sugar in, but I wasn't sure if there was anything easier.

You're on the right track.  You want to krausen the beer.  That involves adding about a qt of actively fermenting wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell