Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kolsch observations  (Read 8342 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: kolsch observations
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2017, 09:34:05 am »
I wanted to use 2565 because I prefer wyeast over WL(don't like the new packaging) but LHBS was out of both! So ended heading to another shop and they only had 029.  Any difference between the two as far as clearing/aging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have brewed extensively with both. In my experience 029 is more stubborn to get to clear. It also ferments a little bit warmer than 2565. I think o29 has a bit more "pear" ester. They both make excellent kölsch. I used to think I preferred the 029 over the 2565 but I use WYEAST almost exclusively now so for the last 2 years I have only used 2565.
I've been split on those two. 029 for me is more of a German Lager yeast that's an ale. 2565 tastes more like a Kolsch yeast. More mouth feel and that vinous flavor. All that sounds great, but I prefer Giga021.
I find it to be more in the middle of 029/2565. Little less vinous, but clears out more easily. I do like 029, just not my favorite for Kolsch.

Jeff B

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2017, 09:57:19 am »
I wanted to use 2565 because I prefer wyeast over WL(don't like the new packaging) but LHBS was out of both! So ended heading to another shop and they only had 029.  Any difference between the two as far as clearing/aging?

I have brewed extensively with both. In my experience 029 is more stubborn to get to clear. It also ferments a little bit warmer than 2565. I think o29 has a bit more "pear" ester. They both make excellent kölsch. I used to think I preferred the 029 over the 2565 but I use WYEAST almost exclusively now so for the last 2 years I have only used 2565.
I've been split on those two. 029 for me is more of a German Lager yeast that's an ale. 2565 tastes more like a Kolsch yeast. More mouth feel and that vinous flavor. All that sounds great, but I prefer Giga021.
I find it to be more in the middle of 029/2565. Little less vinous, but clears out more easily. I do like 029, just not my favorite for Kolsch.

I fermented the 2565 at 58f for two days and finished at 65f after the fifth day.  Does the 029 require a higher temp to start?

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:37 am »
This is so weird. 2 min after posting I was listening to exp. brewing podcast and Denny just mentioned it's not a true kölsch unless you're using 2565...

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:51 am »
I've pitched at 58. Gives a bit of sulfur (not lager yeast levels) when that cold, but bringing it up will get rid of it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2017, 10:58:50 am »
You guys are right, I had a brain fart. 029 is the easier one to clear. Man it's weird getting old and forgetting the same stuff you used to preach! OTOH i use a centrifuge for most of my brews now so they are all easy to clear for me. ;)

;D.  I feel your pain. Getting old sucks.

But better than the alternative!

Oh yeah! 
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
This is so weird. 2 min after posting I was listening to exp. brewing podcast and Denny just mentioned it's not a true kölsch unless you're using 2565...

That's just like, his opinion, man.

I think 029 makes a fantstic kölsch with all the chardonnay character you'd expect. That said, my kölsch with 2565 is a gold medal winning kölsch ... so there's that.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2017, 12:52:59 pm »
My last kolsch used Hallertau Mittelfruh (60 min, 25 IBU) and K-97 Safale German Lager yeast, ramped from 60F to 63F, and I thought the beer was excellent.  Just posting to share my personal experience.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:04:04 pm by brewsumore »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2017, 03:10:22 pm »

That's just like, his opinion, man.

I think 029 makes a fantstic kölsch with all the chardonnay character you'd expect. That said, my kölsch with 2565 is a gold medal winning kölsch ... so there's that.
True, and this will give me a chance to see which I like better.  Congrats on the gold!

What would you recommend I start 029 temp at?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2017, 03:56:17 pm »
Always started both yeasts at 58. But you will want to finish the 029 at over 64 because it sometime stalls at lower than that temp.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »
Always started both yeasts at 58. But you will want to finish the 029 at over 64 because it sometime stalls at lower than that temp.
Cool thx

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2017, 05:44:44 am »
I recently did a Kölsch style at lager temps, but racked to a bright keg with priming sugar and let it free rise to room temperature for a few days before cold crashing.  I will be transferring keg to keg with a spunding valve on the receiving keg and under pressure in a week or so.  I'm using 029, which I prefer over the 2565, but that's just personal preference.  I've never done a blind triangle, so it could be a visual bias, because 029 clears so much more quickly in my experience.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:13 am »
When I brew Kolsch I use WLP029.  I followed the advice in "Brewing Classic Styles"  and fermented for 2 weeks @ 60F and lagered for 4 weeks.  Very happy with the results.
Brew what you like & brew often.