Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too late to bottle?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline NextEndeavor

• 1st Kit
Too late to bottle?
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »
I took an extract kit but did a full boil with my new 10 gallon pot and burner. The wort SP was 1.051 after a rapid chill. Then I split the wort into two three gallon carboys. I used an ale yeast for one and a lager yeast for the other. Eight days later the bubbling had stopped, SP pretty close to 1.01 on both. The lager ran primary in a 57 degree basement. The ale upstairs at 72. BTW , they both tasted great and quite a log different which is what I wanted to learn about. Placed both in separate carboys again for the secondary run and both in the basement this time. Warmer weather now so basement running about 61 degrees. Here is my concern: they've been in the secondary 11 weeks because I've been busy. I can bottle tomorrow. Do you think the yeast is good enough to bottle condition? Thanks
This is my 9th batch and all have been good so far. Considering going all grain but extract is pretty easy.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Too late to bottle?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »
Likely fine. My primary worry would be oxidation at this point. Give them a sniff and taste. Adding a small amount of dry yeast wouldn't hurt either.

Offline NextEndeavor

• 1st Kit
Re: Too late to bottle?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »
Today was two weeks since bottled. Refrigerated one this morning, opened tonight. No problems, carbonation was great. My concern is over.