Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blood orange IPA  (Read 3021 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
Blood orange IPA
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:26:20 pm »
I am wanting to make an IPA and add blood oranges or some kind of fruit.

My IPA recipe is 12 lbs 2 row 1 lb cara pills 1 lb crystal 20 1 lb munich
1 oz Chinook at 90 mins 1 oz citra at 20 mins 1 oz cascade at 15 mins 1 oz citra 0 mins 1 oz citra dry hop.
and california ale yeast.

This is a 5 gal batch that will be kegged.

what do you guys think of peeling blood oranges freezing them and adding them to the secondary or maybe juicing them? I dont know how much to add, if its a good idea to freeze or juice them, or when to add them. Whats your guys opinion?

Cheers

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Blood orange IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
I like juicing blood oranges and getting the peel in there a couple days before packaging.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:37:05 pm »
so when do you add the juice and how much? do you sanitize the peel before or freeze it or something and how much peel do you use?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:04 am »
I added the juice after SG was 60% attenuated.  I added the juice of 6# of fruit.  However that was a 4 gallons of hefeweizen.  I dipped the peels into starsan and k-meta  solutions to remove wild yeast and bacteria.  Then stored in a sanitized zip lock in the freezer until I was ready to crash.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)