Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kiss The Goat Black Bock  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
Kiss The Goat Black Bock
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »
So I saw on Gigantic's web site they post recipes for most of their beers. I was wanting to try to make the Kiss the goat but it says 404 file not found. I was wondering if anybody happened to have it saved or written down anywhere. The best I found was in this book and i cannot make heads or tails of it honestly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://books.google.com/books?id=X_dpCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA310&lpg=PA310&dq=%22kiss+the+goat%22+clone+recipe&source=bl&ots=5Drf4PzBrO&sig=nCGsPaloFt_ohQAzQiM6aZOLHIQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjamLH4rs_TAhVD7YMKHa-1DVwQ6AEIOjAE#v=snippet&q=kiss%20the%20goat&f=false

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kiss The Goat Black Bock
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:51:23 am »
It's gives you the OG, grist in %, the hops and the alpha acid content, and the yeast.  Not sure what the confusion comes from but looks alright to me.

16.5P
35IBUs

Grist
69.8% Pils
18.6% Vienna
5.8% Melanoiden
5.8% Carafa III
Hops
Sterling and mt hood to bitter, and I think it's a 70/30 split on the bitter addition
Mt hood and Sterling to finish/late hop I think it's a 50/50

3479 yeast

I don't know if you can find an easy substitute for Mt. Hood but anything noble should work.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:43 am »
Liberty is a good substitute for Mt. Hood. If you can't find that, Hallertau Mittelfrüh is a good sub, as it was the mother of both.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:28:06 am »
Liberty is a good substitute for Mt. Hood. If you can't find that, Hallertau Mittelfrüh is a good sub, as it was the mother of both.

Yep. And a Liberty/Mt Hood combo is a pretty nice approximation of good Mittelfrueh IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:14 am »
It's gives you the OG, grist in %, the hops and the alpha acid content, and the yeast.  Not sure what the confusion comes from but looks alright to me.

Sorry my confusion comes from translating this into a recipe. I'm rel;ativly new at home brewing only about 5 batches, 2 of which were extract brews, and i'm just not sure what the "16.5P" means. I know its the gravity in plato but i don't exactly know how to translate that into what i need to figure out how much of each malt i'll need. Is there a formula somewhere?
Again sorry i'm relatively new at this.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:21 am »

Sorry my confusion comes from translating this into a recipe. I'm rel;ativly new at home brewing only about 5 batches, 2 of which were extract brews, and i'm just not sure what the "16.5P" means. I know its the gravity in plato but i don't exactly know how to translate that into what i need to figure out how much of each malt i'll need. Is there a formula somewhere?
Set up for 5 gal batch assuming 74% efficiency.  Not a bad starting place unless you know your system/setups efficiencies.  Which most calculators will adjust.  Brewersfriend, Beersmith, Biermacht (good mobile app for android), etc...

Setup for:
16.5 Plato 16.5P
1.068 OG
35 IBU
30.3 SRM
~6.5% ABV

Grist
8.8# Pilsner
2.35# Vienna
.73# Carafa III
.73# Melanoiden

Hops ~IBUs
.65oz Sterling @60 ~21IBUs
.5oz Mittelfrueh @60 ~9IBUs
.4oz Sterling @10 ~2.5IBUs
.75oz Mittelfrueh @10 ~2.5IBUs

That is a good starting point.  You can adjust from there

As far as mash goes for an All grain recipe is usually recommended
148F/35m
156F/35m
168F/15m
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:49 am »

Set up for 5 gal batch assuming 74% efficiency.  Not a bad starting place unless you know your system/setups efficiencies.  Which most calculators will adjust.  Brewersfriend, Beersmith, Biermacht (good mobile app for android), etc...

Thanks. do those calculators give you this info? Also I know this is probably a bad question but what does efficiency % in beer mean?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:41 am »
Yes they do.  And generally speaking you can (*Edit, stupid smartphone) start with trials and free versions from all of the ones I mentioned.

The efficiency in which your grain becomes fermentable wort.  So extraction is then put to a % of its potential.  At Home, anything over 60% is acceptable.  Not ideal but agreeable.  And if your recipe is supposed to be 1.052 and you get 1.044 into the fermenter, adjust for grain bill accordingly next batch.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:39:55 am by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:18:01 am »
Thanks for all the help! i'm slowly learning and trying to improve every batch.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 06:06:00 am »
Yes they do.  And generally speaking you can (*Edit, stupid smartphone) start with trials and free versions from all of the ones I mentioned.

The efficiency in which your grain becomes fermentable wort.  So extraction is then put to a % of its potential.  At Home, anything over 60% is acceptable.  Not ideal but agreeable.  And if your recipe is supposed to be 1.052 and you get 1.044 into the fermenter, adjust for grain bill accordingly next batch.

As soon as I saw Black Bock I was going to mention Gigantic, but I see you're already there.  I live very close to them and go there every so often.

I could be wrong, but if I remember right I think you can download BeerSmith and never pay for it.  There are some limitations to the free version such as no cloud storage of recipes etc and maybe fewer ingredient updates.  My wife bought me the full version, but I seem to remember it was a "free forever" rather than a "3 month trial".  BeerSmith is great for recipe formulation.  It will tell you the percentages of grain in the grist so just adjust the weights until it matches.

Thanks. do those calculators give you this info? Also I know this is probably a bad question but what does efficiency % in beer mean?

There are no bad questions, we all started somewhere.  Keep up the good work!
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year