Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wicked Weed purchased by AB  (Read 13973 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Wicked Weed purchased by AB
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 11:41:00 am »
Well this certainly made my day! lol

Was that the "cha-ching" of the ultimate cash machine we just heard? Whaddayagonna do with all the money when BMC shows up with that suitcase full of cash, and how much would it take [don't answer that]?

Haha, no I wish. Just sub sub Reddit board someone sent me. I personally don't feel we have our marketing together nearly enough to lure a buy out from one of the big guys, and we are not close to being big enough. Buuuuut, OTOH it's not like I'm making big money doing this. Yeah, if I was single I could get by. Raise a family? No way. My wife makes all the money in this family. So if a big buy out came I would be foolish not to take it at this stage. You have to think of your family first. And I have a son in college and another one in high school.

If I was making some serious bank I'd have to seriously consider rebuffing an offer. But, like any business, I've taken a big risk ding this. I quit a lucrative career, caused some serious marriage problems (which have since been resolved) and have seen less of my kids than I would have liked too. It's been a great experience and I love it, but there have been a lot of risks and even more sacrifices.  You don't just walk away from a buy out. I'd never begrudge anyone from taking the money.

Edit: I should add, to be sure, that i really do enjoy doing this. Not just the beer but the aspect of running a business from the production side. If the buy out was lucrative enough and if I could get away with it I'd very much consider opening a smallish brewpub focusing on taproom sales. Most likely there would be a non compete, but just think about the hombrewery I could build with all that money. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:46:47 am by majorvices »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wicked Weed purchased by AB
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 04:13:51 pm »
I am hoping to be the first homebrewer in the Picobrew Brewing Network (PBN) bought out by ABI.

Step one: get accepted into the PBN.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »
I am hoping to be the first homebrewer in the Picobrew Brewing Network (PBN) bought out by ABI.

Funny stuff.  :)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »

Or they could buy Pico outright and give you nada.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »

I know that is far more likely.  But, a homebrewer can dream.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2017, 04:51:09 pm »

Is there a license agreement/contract for the developers program? I didn't see anything on their site. Just curious as to when/if they can decide to keep your recipe sans royalties. Recipes aren't protected by law, so it would need to be some form of contract between Pico and the brewer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »

Is there a license agreement/contract for the developers program? I didn't see anything on their site. Just curious as to when/if they can decide to keep your recipe sans royalties. Recipes aren't protected by law, so it would need to be some form of contract between Pico and the brewer.
That's a question for Denny maybe. He has a recipe already for sale. I think you need a Zymatic to be in the program and I don't have mine yet.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 05:41:39 pm »
Well this certainly made my day! lol

Was that the "cha-ching" of the ultimate cash machine we just heard? Whaddayagonna do with all the money when BMC shows up with that suitcase full of cash, and how much would it take [don't answer that]?

Haha, no I wish. Just sub sub Reddit board someone sent me. I personally don't feel we have our marketing together nearly enough to lure a buy out from one of the big guys, and we are not close to being big enough. Buuuuut, OTOH it's not like I'm making big money doing this. Yeah, if I was single I could get by. Raise a family? No way. My wife makes all the money in this family. So if a big buy out came I would be foolish not to take it at this stage. You have to think of your family first. And I have a son in college and another one in high school.

If I was making some serious bank I'd have to seriously consider rebuffing an offer. But, like any business, I've taken a big risk ding this. I quit a lucrative career, caused some serious marriage problems (which have since been resolved) and have seen less of my kids than I would have liked too. It's been a great experience and I love it, but there have been a lot of risks and even more sacrifices.  You don't just walk away from a buy out. I'd never begrudge anyone from taking the money.

Edit: I should add, to be sure, that i really do enjoy doing this. Not just the beer but the aspect of running a business from the production side. If the buy out was lucrative enough and if I could get away with it I'd very much consider opening a smallish brewpub focusing on taproom sales. Most likely there would be a non compete, but just think about the hombrewery I could build with all that money. :)
  You might want to edit your comment and replace the stuff about not making any money with some healthy Trumpian bragging - just in case BMC has anyone snooping on the forum ;).
   Enjoying much of what you do makes all the BS about owning a business much more tolerable. I certainly understand the strain it can place on a relationship, the focus and time that my ex-business required did deal the death blow to the longest relationship I've had, but if I could go back and redo things there isn't much I'd do differently. There is a weird satisfaction and fulfillment to running your own company that probably nothing else in life can simulate. I'll warn you though, that once you've run a business, if the big fellas make you wealthy beyond your dreams, sooner or later you'll probably be sorely tempted to jump back into the maelstrom again. Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck, you've probably earned it :). Maybe someday all your forum friends can say they knew you before you were a billionaire.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
...or to control the market. Yes. They are smart businesses. The three tier system guards against tied houses or we'll end up like Britain with six breweries. Plus three tiers offer more opportunities for taxation. They can't own all three tiers. They can own the brewery and a distributor or a retail shop. But control two and you can influence the third.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There are more breweries per capita in Britain than in the US.

It wasn't meant to be literal. I apologize. I forgot for a moment how literal this site is theses daze. The intent of the post was to say that in Britain many houses are tied to Breweries eliminating competition. I further meant to say that AB is simply making a legal business decision to maximize its profits. Pardon me. Cheers!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »
...or to control the market. Yes. They are smart businesses. The three tier system guards against tied houses or we'll end up like Britain with six breweries. Plus three tiers offer more opportunities for taxation. They can't own all three tiers. They can own the brewery and a distributor or a retail shop. But control two and you can influence the third.

There are more breweries per capita in Britain than in the US.

It wasn't meant to be literal. I apologize. I forgot for a moment how literal this site is theses daze. The intent of the post was to say that in Britain many houses are tied to Breweries eliminating competition. I further meant to say that AB is simply making a legal business decision to maximize its profits. Pardon me. Cheers!

Too many Engineers!  :)

I count 6 breweries on this list, maybe not the ones you were thinking? The rest are PubCos. As I have traveled around, a local/regional brewery will have many pubs. Jennings in the Lake District is an example. Harvey's and Timothy Taylor are a couple of others.

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/333007/top-pub-groups-in-the-uk-2009
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 07:47:25 pm »
I count 6 breweries on this list, maybe not the ones you were thinking? The rest are PubCos. As I have traveled around, a local/regional brewery will have many pubs. Jennings in the Lake District is an example. Harvey's and Timothy Taylor are a couple of others.

Jennings is owned by Marstons, although maybe not when that list was published. I did their tour in 2007, when they were still independent. I've never been able to come up a recipe that came close to their Snecklifter dark ale.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »

Jennings is owned by Marstons, although maybe not when that list was published. I did their tour in 2007, when they were still independent. I've never been able to come up a recipe that came close to their Snecklifter dark ale.
I should have known that, and said so, as I toured there early 2016. They thought they would be closed. Then the floods hit, and they thought they would be closed. Still open and pretty much doing their thing. It was pretty much Jennings in their pubs for real ale.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »
Wicked Weed is certainly feeling the sting as 20 breweries have pulled out of their July festival and at least two breweries have severed ties to the brewery and their collaborations. It seems few breweries want to see their efforts enhance the AB machine.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:02 pm »
Wicked Weed is certainly feeling the sting as 20 breweries have pulled out of their July festival and at least two breweries have severed ties to the brewery and their collaborations. It seems few breweries want to see their efforts enhance the AB machine.
I hear rubbing money on it helps. They'll be fine.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 10:21:45 pm »
I hear rubbing money on it helps. They'll be fine.
Sounds about right Stevie. For me, I've never tried any of their beer, and likely won't now. I say this because I would t pay craft prices for abinbev. I will still occasionally drink their brews, but only if no better option exists: their consistency does count for something

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)