Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bonehead move for the day  (Read 1578 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Bonehead move for the day
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
Please tell me that someone else has done this so I don't feel like too big of an idiot...

I started milling my grain and noticed a strange noise coming from my mill. Everything went through, but nothing was crushed. Tried again, same thing. I haven't checked the gap in years, so maybe it loosened up. Reset my gap to my normal setting. Nope, still no crush. So I crank the gap as tight as it will go. Still no crush.

That's when I realized that I had used my drill recently. Sure enough, I left it reverse. So I reset my gap to my normal setting. Now the grain won't go through at all when I start up the mill. After breaking down the whole mill yet again I see that the second roller won't spin at all. Apparently all those spins in reverse caked the other roller with grain dust and bound it up. I cleared the dust out and it started spinning like new. Finally, I got back to my normal crush the next time through.

Thankfully, the rest of the brewday went off without a hitch, but took about 45 unnecessary minutes longer. Had to share.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bonehead move for the day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:04:27 pm »
I have had the drill in reverse. I saw the direction it was spinning, switched it, no problem.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:39 pm »
Not here. My drill is keyless, so I need it in forward to tighten the chuck. Keyless sucks for milling BTW, and any other high demand task, so I'm getting a proper keyed drill for milling at some point.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:42 pm »
I have not done the exact same thing, but I do some version of that maybe once a week. A couple weeks ago I filled my chainsaw with fuel and bar and chain oil, put it in a wheelbarrow with a bunch of other stuff I needed and went over to my bee yard to cut down some brush and set up the electric fence for the season. I grabbed my work gloves and found them to be soaking wet for some reason and put them back without thinking of it. I went to start my chainsaw and after 15 minutes gave up, muttering and swearing about what a PIA two stroke engines are. I figured out later that the fuel cap wasn't threaded correctly and all the fuel leaked out. Hence the soaken wet gloves. I got a blister between my fingers from pulling the cord so many times without gloves.
I swear to God I'm a pretty smart guy!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:00 pm »
I have not done the exact same thing, but I do some version of that maybe once a week. A couple weeks ago I filled my chainsaw with fuel and bar and chain oil, put it in a wheelbarrow with a bunch of other stuff I needed and went over to my bee yard to cut down some brush and set up the electric fence for the season. I grabbed my work gloves and found them to be soaking wet for some reason and put them back without thinking of it. I went to start my chainsaw and after 15 minutes gave up, muttering and swearing about what a PIA two stroke engines are. I figured out later that the fuel cap wasn't threaded correctly and all the fuel leaked out. Hence the soaken wet gloves. I got a blister between my fingers from pulling the cord so many times without gloves.
I swear to God I'm a pretty smart guy!
This is exactly why I have a battery powered chainsaw. I'm a klutz and don't trust myself around gas...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:32:17 pm »
And then there're those times I'm looking for something--say, a pen--that I'm holding in my hand....

Since I hand crank my mill, if I ever crank in reverse, it will be a sign that I have a gear loose somewhere else.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:01:09 am »
I lost over an hour a week ago on new 3 roller mill that I had just assumed I had setup correctly.  Don't feel too bad.  I do this kind of stuff all the time.  :)

I now need to figure out my efficiency drop.  It has to be the crush but that beer was the easiest sparge I've had in years. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 07:53:44 am »
Not here. My drill is keyless, so I need it in forward to tighten the chuck. Keyless sucks for milling BTW, and any other high demand task, so I'm getting a proper keyed drill for milling at some point.
   Keyless chucks suck - period.
   You should be able to tighten the chuck enough to prevent slippage if you use a couple pairs of water pump pliers [channellocks].
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!