Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wired opaque fermentation  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
Wired opaque fermentation
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:12 am »
Looking for ideas on what's going on.  Third day into fermentation. Everything went normal from boil through second day of fermentation. This morning the whole batch went from a dark translucent liquid with a good krousen to a very opaque dark mustard color. Still getting activity.

Yeast was dry Munton's and kicked off with a starter, all good.
2# extract and 3 # extra light dry malt.
Saaz in the bitter
Lemon drop (new variety) in the aroma
Only oddity was I added 2oz. Shredded coconut for the last 15 min. Of the boil. I suspect this has caused things to go south.

I've not smelled it yet,still into the fermenter.
Any ideas, comments please
Thinking back to the sanitizing. I'm using a large hand blown glass fermenter and only gave it a brief rinse w/ iodophor solution, I usually give it a good scrub w/ a long handled plastic brush. It may have been an insufficient sanitizing.  Just smelled it via the water trap. Good news is it smells like Lawence Welk (wanderfull, wanderfull).
Retired AHA judge director. 20 years ago. Just getting back into home brewing.
Jim

Thanks guys,

Barley, water, hops and yeast. When this beer is done we'll have a feast.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:38:36 pm by Copymutt »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Wired opaque fermentation
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
My guess without pics is that the dark mustard color is just the yeast fully in suspension in your wort. I don't think its a problem at all, but others will have other thoughts
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:21:04 am »
My guess without pics is that the dark mustard color is just the yeast fully in suspension in your wort. I don't think its a problem at all, but others will have other thoughts

^^I'd agree with that assessment based on description.  During peak ale activity, when most yeast is in suspension, it definitely looks very creamy and that will lighten the color drastically.  Once it settles back out the color will again re-darken.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:37:09 am »
Most likely yeast getting busy and nothing to worry about.

My alternate thought is maybe the opaqueness is yeast plus some of the coconut oil separating out and working its way to the surface; but two ounces of coconut in five gallons shouldn't have any noticeable effect on visibility. Still wouldn't be anything to worry about.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
Primary ferment in buckets or stainless and you save yourself the visual agony!  But hey, welcome back to the hobby.  Its popularity may be peaking, just like craft beer enthusiasm seems to be doing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"