Author Topic: Ice cream cones in mash  (Read 2065 times)

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Ice cream cones in mash
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »
I posted this on another forum and it was soundly ignored. Still trying to gage if this is an idea worth running with. Im participating in an Autism benefit next month. I let my son, who is autistic, decide what dad should brew. He said a chocolate ice cream beer. I was planning to do a chocolate milk stout but had the idea to add ice cream cones to the mash. I know cereal, graham crackers, and pastries have all been used before. Anyone tried this or know someone who has? Just seems like a fun experiment.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream cones in mash
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Ice cream cones have limited flavorings. Only vanilla and a bit of sugar. I'd toss some in the mash, but also consider stepping a vanilla bean before packaging.

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
I don't know, waffle and sugar cones have a definite flavor to them.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
I think this is a really fun idea.  I'd use enough cones for at least 30-40% of the total mash.  You'd have to use that many to be able to taste them at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
Ice cream cones in mash
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
I don't know, waffle and sugar cones have a definite flavor to them.
Sure, a bit from the cooking. But it's basically thin vanilla cookie batter.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:24:48 PM by Stevie »

Offline gman23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »
Maybe crush them up and toast them in the oven with some sugar in attempt to get some more goodness out of them?
On Tap/Bottled: Kurbis Marzen, Red Rye, Vienna Lager, Dry Hopped Peach Cider       

Fermenting: Imperial Porter, Hopfenbier
Up Next: Maibock, Braunbier

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
Heck, even if you don't get much flavor I like the concept of a waffle cone stout.  It just sounds delicious.  As long as you can say you put them in, and they don't harm the flavor, I think it's a brilliant idea.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Heck, even if you don't get much flavor I like the concept of a waffle cone stout.  It just sounds delicious.  As long as you can say you put them in, and they don't harm the flavor, I think it's a brilliant idea.
1000% agree. Won't hurt to try. Kids cereal has been used by plenty, this shouldn't be too different.

I do wonder how the fat from the dairy and eggs will fare? Could it go rancid over long term aging?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
I thought about using Corn Pops a couple weeks ago since the kids NEEDED to have them and then wouldn't eat them.  I chose to toss them out.  Not sure what kind of preservatives are in those things, and I didn't care enough to come up with a new recipe for them.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
No actual ice cream going into said beer, so no worries about eggs and dairy. My salmonella porter already that market cornered. 
Charles Bukowski

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
No actual ice cream going into said beer, so no worries about eggs and dairy. My salmonella porter already that market cornered.
The cones will have eggs and dairy in the ingredients. That means fats. I'm sure it will be fine, just curious as to what might happen.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
If you put them in the mash, you'll likely never be able to taste them.  Maybe that's OK and it's enough just to know they're in there.  If you want to emulate the flavor add some vanilla post primary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 01:27:26 AM »
I used Capn Crunch once, many years ago.  It made a bit of an oil slick on the top of the mash, but there were no other negative effects.  There were no positive effects either, flavor or otherwise.  It could be a fun experiment for the family, though.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
I think I may skip the mash and add them to the boil and then "dry cone" the secondary.
Charles Bukowski

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
I think I would toast some and add in the fermenter. I would also try to coax some cracker/graham flavor out of the grain bill. You could even find a way to garnish the pint of stout with the cone, either a big piece or crumbled.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.