Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ice cream cones in mash  (Read 4946 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Ice cream cones in mash
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 09:17:54 am »
I think I may skip the mash and add them to the boil and then "dry cone" the secondary.

I would not advise that.  Starch city.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 09:38:28 am »
I think I may skip the mash and add them to the boil and then "dry cone" the secondary.

You won't get much out of them in the boil, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 11:34:29 am »

For best ice cream cone flavor and aroma, consider steeping the cones for 40 minutes after knockout and after cooling the wort to 160°F.  Be sure to use at least 4 times the amount of ice cream cones that you had planned to use for the 60 minute addition. Never use a copper chiller when brewing with ice cream cones, as that may lead to a stale, oxidized ice cream clone flavor.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 07:24:43 am »

For best ice cream cone flavor and aroma, consider steeping the cones for 40 minutes after knockout and after cooling the wort to 160°F.  Be sure to use at least 4 times the amount of ice cream cones that you had planned to use for the 60 minute addition. Never use a copper chiller when brewing with ice cream cones, as that may lead to a stale, oxidized ice cream clone flavor.

Make sure it's at least 10 minutes after your PVPP/Whirlfloc addition and 10 minutes before your gallotannins ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 09:11:16 am »

Make sure it's at least 10 minutes after your PVPP/Whirlfloc addition and 10 minutes before your gallotannins ;)

If you persist in your efforts
You can achieve dream control.

(Help me!)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 10:21:16 am »
I think I would toast some and add in the fermenter. I would also try to coax some cracker/graham flavor out of the grain bill. You could even find a way to garnish the pint of stout with the cone, either a big piece or crumbled.

On that note, why not go whole hog and make a stout float? I've done it with a few imperial stouts, it's pretty good.

That idea intrigues me. Build a really roasty, dry stout that will be cut by the sweetness and mint of a good mint ice cream...then top it off with a cone.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 03:45:50 pm »
One of my girls is autistic as well, it's so cool to engage with them and see what shakes out.  I'll be happy to run a variation and send some bottles, if you want to post a recipe.  I am pretty sure if I asked her, I would need to craft a beer mermaids or ponies can drink.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

-Tony

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:24 am »
OK, so the benefit was cancelled. Going to bring this to the Homebrew conference. I decided on a tincture, soaked about a lb of cones in vodka for a week and strained last night. It does taste like cones but has a harsh vodka bite. Going to add another lb of cones to the secondary tonight, and let it sit for a week.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:22 am »

Update
Kegged the beer last night. I will say its a moderate success. Cone flavor does not hit you in the face but it is there. I dry "coned" with a pound of waffle cones. Soaked another pound in some vodka for about a week and a half and added a pint of the tincture to the keg.

Grain bill was
2 Row Pale Malt 4 lbs
Crystal 60l 1 3/4 lbs
carapils  1 3/4 lbs
Black Patent 3/4 lbs
roasted barley 1/2 lbs
oats 3/4 lbs

Mashed at 155 and did a 2 hour boil. Added lactose at the end and 8 oz of cocoa powder. 4 oz of cocoa nibs to the secondary with the cones.
I will be bringing this to homebrew con. Stop by the BABBLE Homebrewers table at club night for a taste.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski