Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping with hop extract  (Read 2116 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Dry hopping with hop extract
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:07:07 am »
 Has anyone thought of this? I know there are hot shots for bittering but I was just thinking that if there were individual hop extracts that contains all of the oils from that hop, it might be an interesting way to pack more hop flavor and aroma post fermentation instead of dry hopping. You would loose less beer too. They could come in sanitized viles so you just open and pour them in.   On a base level I don't actually like this idea because I like using the original bass ingredients in making flavor through the chemistry of Brewing. It's the reason I like all grain versus extract. But with everyone trying to cram as much flavor and aroma in, I was just thinking?......
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dry hopping with hop extract
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:29:57 am »
Has anyone thought of this? I know there are hot shots for bittering but I was just thinking that if there were individual hop extracts that contains all of the oils from that hop, it might be an interesting way to pack more hop flavor and aroma post fermentation instead of dry hopping. You would loose less beer too. They could come in sanitized viles so you just open and pour them in.   On a base level I don't actually like this idea because I like using the original bass ingredients in making flavor through the chemistry of Brewing. It's the reason I like all grain versus extract. But with everyone trying to cram as much flavor and aroma in, I was just thinking?......
A) Generic non-varietal Hop Shot isn't worth it. I've tried it, and it has a generic "hoppy" character in the flavor and aroma, but it's rather mild.

B) I have a bunch of varietal hop extracts in my freezer, and I definitely plan to taste-test them in the near future. The hop shots were close enough where I could see a varietal hop shot providing some benefit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer