Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indoor hop plants using grow lights  (Read 3863 times)

Offline jbarlock

• 1st Kit
Indoor hop plants using grow lights
« on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:13 am »
I need help!
I just returned home (Cleveland) from visiting vertical farms in Shanghai, Osaka, and Tokyo. Myself, 3 of my colleagues, and 28 other members from various lighting organizations were part of the tour group. We saw some really cool systems all using hydroponics. We visited the most automated grow farm (small scale at a  university in Osaka) and we toured one the largest indoor grow farms (Tokyo) producing 10,000 lettuce heads (4 types) per day.
I joined the tour group convinced that we could harvest hop plants indoors using grow lights and a hydroponic system. My boss (president and founder) of Sansi Technology, is somewhat unfamiliar with hop plants and its demand, but is very intrigued with the process being able to work.

If anyone knows of any breweries interested in adapting an indoor grow farm to grow hops, we can make it very easy for them as our test pilot. Our lights can go in any direction, at any length, provide any spectrum, and can be managed right from your phone. Within the system, we can control all variables including temperature and air circulation.

Please message me if you know of any interest!

...quick product rundown of Sansi- 2 of the larger displays in Times Square are Sansi's, including the big display in the D.C.'s Verizon Center. Any light bulb fanatics...Sansi has an Energy Star rated, A19, 1600lm (100w replacements), CRI 93, Omni light bulbs.

Thank you,
Justin

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Indoor hop plants using grow lights
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:44:45 am »
Justin, you might be better off speaking to actual hop farm growers, not breweries.

Hops grow 16-20' so vertical space limitations are something to consider. Weather conditions play a big role in hop productions so this is certainly intriguing, at least I think so:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline dmunkey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:45 am »
These guys grow hops indoors, http://www.hydrohopfarms.com/

As you see they have a massive facility, however they don't use any artificial lighting. I was under the impression that hops were very dependent on the changing solar cycles at different stages of growth, but I could be wrong. I've considered this idea as well, it's very intriguing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:31:43 am »
These guys grow hops indoors, http://www.hydrohopfarms.com/

As you see they have a massive facility, however they don't use any artificial lighting. I was under the impression that hops were very dependent on the changing solar cycles at different stages of growth, but I could be wrong. I've considered this idea as well, it's very intriguing.

No, you are absolutely right.  IIRC, they grow up until equinox, then concentrate on cone production.  In addition, the huge root balls can make indoor growing problematic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mattkrauss

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »
Justin. I'm interested in your lights. How can I message you?