Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Brewer's Invert Sugar Syrup  (Read 8316 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brewer's Invert Sugar Syrup
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »
I like the idea of a mild as well. One if these strains is going to end in an English porter and in likely in an English Barelywine as well by the third generation I'm hoping

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 01:43:49 pm »
Right now, my plan for my Klassic Ale yeast is a red ale, and a TBD ale...can't decide between a mild and a bitter. Honestly the bitter is sounding more appealing, especially since the Maryland humidity as appeared today...it's got my craving dry quaffable beers with a good level of bitterness...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »
And on that note:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.nl/2014/01/lets-brew-wednesday-1945-tetleys-mild.html

I've brewed versions of this, but always in an "American Mild" vein. (US grains and hops)

FWIW, the one time I did the 3 hour boil this beer turned out much better than the second time around with a 1 hour boil...other variables may have been responsible, to take that for what it's worth.
Phil,  did you do the caramel colorant thing, and how much, etc.? 
Would caramel/crystal malts work as well?
In the 3 hour boil:
- rolling, medium, light?
- when did you add hops and the invert syrup?
- when did you add the caramel, if any?

Thanks in advance.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:49 am »
I didn't add any colorant. Everything points to caramel colorant not adding any flavor, and I was OK with a paler beer, so I didn't think it was worth the expense to buy.

Just the grist listed there, with the invert. The first batch was copper colored, that had a 3 hour boil and way more boil off than anticipated. Second time around I undershot the OG (1.029-1.030 I think) from less than expected boil off...it was pale lager colored.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:28:24 am by Phil_M »

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:19 pm »
I didn't add any colorant. Everything points to caramel colorant not adding any flavor, and I was OK with a paler beer, so I didn't think it was worth the expense to buy.

Just the grist listed there, with the invert. The first batch was copper colored, that had a 3 hour boil and way more boil off than anticipated. Second time around I undershot the OG (1.029-1.030 I think) from less than expected boil off...it was pale lager colored.
Thanks again Phil.  I'm also OK with a paler mild.  I'll try a long, low boil.  So, add the invert at the start of the boil?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
End of boil is what I do as I don't want to boil off any aromatics​ from the invert.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11:25 am »
I've only ever added invert at the start of the boil. Now I'm curious about when in the process the Brits add it in...

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:35 am »
I also add at the end of boil for the "aromatics" reasoning as well.  It may not matter; I just do this based on how quickly those aromatics are lost from honey in a boil.

Offline pepperford

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 08:55:43 pm »
Concerning shelf life, I have had jars last over a year. I does get damn thick, about the consistency a loose jello. But it doesn't crystallize. To store I just warm clean jars in a water bath, add warmer (almost too hot) invert and seal.